TrashCan won't empty some web images won't load

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DirtyDan, May 30, 2009.

1. DirtyDan macrumors member

I don't know what is going on but it's driving me crazy.

When I empty my trash and accept the permanent deletion warning, it makes the ruffling garbage sound as normal but the icon still shows trash in it. I open the trash can and there are no files, but it still shows that there is trash in it on the icon.

Also, some website are loading a little slower than they should and a couple of forums (and also facebook) have problems loading some images.

I am using Firefox 3 but I tested Safari and it's the same problem, however when I boot into windows on the same machine it works fine in Firefox and IE7.

Also, I cannot use the built in software update, I had to go download an update from apple and it didn't fix the problem.

Last night I tried putting in my OS X DVD and reinstalling OS X with the "profile carryover" stuff, so that I don't lose my login or files and it still hasn't resolved the problem.

I'm stuck now and don't know what to do, so if anyone can help me I'd much appreciate it. I have had my 15" Unibody Macbook Pro since January, and it's my first Mac.

Thanks.

2. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

I'm not a complete diagnostic pro, so bear with me :)

Try to repair permissions. Shouldn't take too long.
    Secure empty your trash.
    Log out, log in, then empty your trash.
    Maybe delete your safari plist file (I don't know where it is located). Back up first, please.

I'm not sure at all whether or not any of these will help.

3. DirtyDan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! I tried secure emptying the trash and it didn't fix the problem.

Regarding the plist, it shouldn't have anything to do with it. I use Firefox, and I'm having the issue with Firefox and Safari in OS X.

4. DirtyDan thread starter macrumors member

I think I've got some type of network issue with my Mac OS X software, which is why I am having slowness and image loading problems, as well as not being able to update using auto-update.