Trashed firefox bookmarks, how to merge with new ones

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chipandegg, Mar 27, 2010.

1. chipandegg macrumors regular

chipandegg

I uninstalled Firefox a few months ago, and just reinstalled a couple of days ago.

When I uninstalled it, my bookmarks ended up in the Trash, they're still there as I haven't emptied it yet. Since reinstalling it, I have new bookmarks etc.

I believe the favorites are called, places.sqlite.

Ideally what I would like to do is merge my old favorites with the new ones. Is it possible to do this?

2. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

If you know that it's called places.sqlite then you can do the following: export your bookmarks from within Firefox bookmarks manager as a html file - save this to the desktop. Now replace the places.sqlite from your Trash inside your Firefox profile folder - this will give you your old bookmarks. Now take the exported bookmarks.html from the desktop and import that into Firefox.

I believe this will work. You will have to look for duplicates. This can be done with Bookdog.

Make a backup up your Firefox profile folder before doing anything. You can drag this profile folder to your desktop or zip it in-place. I prefer just duplicating it onto the desktop for safe keeping.