Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miknos

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Title says it all,

I used TrashMe app to remove Messages beta and without noticing It moved iChat to trash can too. When I tried to empty the trash, it wasn't possible.

Now I can't move iChat out of the trash can nor empty it.

I hear you can install from OS X Lion disk but I was looking for a way to force empty. Tried the command line and it shows this:
.Trash/iChat.app/Contents/PlugIns/iChatDockTile.docktileplugin/Contents/MacOS/iChatDockTile: Permission denied

In Windows I know it is because you're trying to empty while using an app. How do I quit the app so I can empty the trash???

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I used TrashMe app to remove Messages beta and without noticing It moved iChat to trash can too.
That's one reason I don't recommend such apps. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Now I can't move iChat out of the trash can nor empty it.
For problems deleting items or emptying the trash, you may find some useful ideas here:
How do I quit the app so I can empty the trash???
You can either use Command-Option-Esc to access the Force Quit menu, or launch Activity Monitor to locate and quit or force quit any running app.

miknos

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Tried terminal and didn't work.

I decided to try a restart again and worked, so I guess that was the only thing I could do.

Thanks for the reply. I'm checking your method of removing apps instead of using those commercial apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.