Travel/Carrying Cases for Spare Batteries

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sunn8760, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Sunn8760 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have a question that I hope you can help me with. I'm just getting into photography and bought spare batteries for my D7000, and AA batteries for my SB700.

What should I use to keep the AA batteries from discharging while in my camera bag (due to contact points touching each other/heating up), and prevent stuff from getting into the contact points for the D7000's spare battery?

Any help or tips are welcome.

Thank you,

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

When I bought rechargeable AA's, I got little plastic snap-cases that hold 4 AA or AAA cells each. They came free with my batteries (I bought them from thomasdistributing.com) but you can buy just the holders if you already have batteries.

You can see a picture of what I am talking about here:
    http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Nexcell-4-Cell-Battery-Holder_p_1244.html

For the camera battery, the spare battery I bought for my D80 came with a little plastic cover for the bottom, to protect the contacts. I thought all Nikon batteries had this thing. Did the spare battery for your D7000 not have one? Even the battery that came with my camera body had the little plastic cover.

3. monokakata, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

The low-price solution (which I've used many times) is small Ziploc bags (quart/liter size, or the smaller snack bags if you can find them) and rubber bands.

Rubber-band the AA cells into packs of 3 or more with rubber bands, drop into the bag, rubber-band the bag and you're good.

For the D7000 battery, just use the bag and a rubber band around the outside.

The other solutions offered are slick (I just ordered the Think Tank 8 cell wallet -- thanks, Puckhead), but this is the el-cheapo one and it works well.

4. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

I carry a very minimal kit (but I take it everywhere :eek:). Spare CF cards and batteries (with the plastic 'clip-ons' covering the terminals) are in a little fabric case that was made for a point & shoot camera, which slips into a pocket of my rucksack...

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Go cheap. Keep the plastic tray that the batteries came in. Use a knife to slit the edges of it and close it with a rubber band. Electrical tape on one end of each battery will have the same result. Doylem has a good idea. A cell phone case would do the same as far as carrying goes. Nice and compact.

Dale

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

My wife knits me little bags for my loose "stuff". Pretty cool. Go cheap.... plastic bags etc. Save your money for buying lenses and other things where "cheap" is bad.

7. Captpegleg macrumors member

Adorama has bunches of battery cases and B&H does as well.

8. Sunn8760 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies.

Ruahrc, my spare D7000 battery did not come with the plastic cover. I went to Mountain Equipment Co-Op and found a soap box that does the trick... haha.

Thanks again for everyone's replies.