[TRAVEL] Going to India

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by desiprince1212, Oct 31, 2010.

1. desiprince1212 macrumors member

Hey everyone!

I am going to India and I needed some advice.

I jailbroke and unlocked my phone and going to India. How do I use my phone?

Do any carriers have a microSim already or do I need a simCutter? Any prepaid plans suggested or recommended?

Thankyou!!!!

2. Lit Up* macrumors member

I can't help you on this, but I will say, be very careful using your iPhone... India is a developing country where theft is rife, unlike China for example, where it is severely punished. Put it away!

3. repulser macrumors newbie

I bought an iPhone 4 unlocked this August from Covent Gardern and wanted to use a Pay Monthly sim from Three which was not a micro sim. So I had to find a way to cut it down. I used a templete I found from the internet. This worked fine for me:
    http://www.sosiphone.com/blogiphone/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/MicroSIM-template1.pdf
    Make sure when you print out the template you don't select the option to Shrink to fit page otherwise it will shrink the image and the sim card and cut-out lines will not be the correct size. I used Blue-tak to stick the sim to the paper. Beware, if you draw the lines onto the sim with pencil it may rub off as you are holding it when cutting it. Before you even think of attempting this you should pratice on a few throw away sims you may have lying around as you dont want to destroy your main sim.
    I dont personally know if an unlocked jailbroken iPhone will work on an Indian network but I dont see why not.
    Also, worth noting that officially Shops that sell Sim cards in India may require some types of documentation from a customer before they are allowed to sell sim card. This may be due to countering terrorist threats, so you should research this.
    One example provider in India is Airtel. They do a prepay sim which I believe you can also include internet allowance for 30 days top-up.
    Wherever you get a sim from see if they will do you a micro-sim instead.
    Finally, I dont think India suffers any more crime than other countries and authorities there can be strict in their law enforcement. Infact, I feel uncomfortable using my iPhone in public here in the UK than I would in India. I guess it can also depend on the area you are in at the time.

Good Luck...

4. pushkarsohoni macrumors newbie

@desiprince1212
    yes m8 dont worry it should work just fine in India I have friends already using the 'Airtel' network in India
    the only thing is that there is no vendor who offers official microsims in India... so u will have to cut the sim u buy urselves
    and dont worry about that either coz its not really as difficult as its made out to be m8 just use a template like mentioned above or use ur current sim to make a template of ur own!
    cheers
    p.s. and its a lovely country with kind people who are at least as tech savvy as the next bunch and probably more :p
    and believe me unless u leave ur phone lying around on ur table in an outdoor cafe while u take a leak or somethin no one will bother u! apart from the iphones Indians are well aware that us westerners have some of the worst phones out there :p ( u have to see the selections available in Singapore HongKong or Japan to follow that )
    oh yeah and always ask for special schemes coz phone rates in India are some of the cheapest in the world and ull get great deals especially if ur staying long!
    enjoy

5. desiprince1212 thread starter macrumors member

thank you so much. means a lot. where can i find an airtel provider is it anywhere? or only some places?

6. pushkarsohoni macrumors newbie

Gosh u can find Airtel or Vodafone or Docomo or Uninor or Aircel or any number of providers just about anywhere in India
    but individual websites will give a listing of the official mobile showrooms service centres etc... easier to get things done there
    u will need documentation of course and as far as I know ur passport and place of residence say a hotel verifying that ur a guest there or whatever will be enough as far as I remember.
    u can buy a prepaid sim literally anywhere but wont be activated without the documentation hence going to official vendors is better and faster! Itd be better to not tell them ur planning on cutting the sim for ur iphone! Airtel and Vodafone i think are the official iphone vendors in India and i dont think theyve launched the iphone4 there as yet!
    and as far as my understanding goes they still dont have 3G m8 :(
    easiest thing is to have ur employer or wherever ur staying friends etc already apply for a new simcard for u in their name and get it verified and activated before u reach there!
    cheers

7. crazycanucks macrumors regular

Have you been to India??/ rife with theft???? Get real

8. Vessy macrumors newbie

Lmao seriously. China is JUST as bad!