Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miket019

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
California
Hello everyone,

I will be traveling in France for 3 weeks in December and I want to know if anyone know of a backpack that is tall enough inside that I can fit a 19" tripod leg (without the head).

I shoot mostly medium format and long exposure, I need the tripod.

I understand I can strap it on the outside but from experience, i prefer it to be hidden completely. Backpack needs to be big enough to also fit my two cameras, a Hasselblad 500cm and a Canon 5D Mark II.

Thanks

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
When I went to China a couple of years ago I took a 74(?)L hiking backpack to house my clothing, etc. I was able to fit my tripod completely inside, wrapped with clothes to protect it. My tripod (without head) is about 23" tall, so I think any large hiking/travel backpack of similar capacity would work.

Ruahrc

miket019

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
California
I apologize, I wasn't very clear, what i'm looking for is actually a camera bag with at least 19" inch in height inside. It will be for camera equipment only.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
When I was in China I took the big backpack which had my tripod, but I also took along a smaller backpack which I took with me out every day. After the plane trip I moved the tripod from the big bag to my small backpack, but strapped to the outside.

I'm not aware of a camera-specific backpack that will house a 19" tripod inside, you may want to consider getting some kind of "real" backpack and then modifying it for equipment usage by adding camera inserts, using pouches, etc. It may be the only way to get the size you need. Plus, as an aside, I have found most camera equipment specific backpacks to be very heavy compared to their hiking counterparts. I'm not talking a few ounces here and there I'm talking about double or more the weight, a difference of 3-4 pounds at times.

Ruahrc

miket019

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
California
I think that one is a bit too tall and the compartment are separated in two cube, so I wouldn't be able to put a tripod from top to bottom.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
To fit the tripod inside the pack, you are going to have to go with a standard hiking pack and adapt it to your needs with foam dividers or such. Even the largest camera packs I have looked at mount the tripod on the outside.

Dale

miket019

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
California
So I went to a camera store this morning and took my tripod with me to test the vertex300.

The good news is that the tripod fits nicely without the head. The legs are only 19" and the interior space of the backpack is 20.5" in height, so that's perfect.

The bad news is that they were selling it for $315 while I saw them on amazon for $250, so I didn't get it from them and went home and order it online. Before leaving I bought other things at the store because they gave me such a good service.

thank you all for the feedback.

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
The bad news is that they were selling it for $315 while I saw them on amazon for $250, so I didn't get it from them and went home and order it online. Before leaving I bought other things at the store because they gave me such a good service.

thank you all for the feedback.
Ouch, that's quite a markup. I'm glad the Vertex 300 worked out for you. Did you notice if the foam dividers are able to be repositioned?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.