Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by n8236, Sep 18, 2012.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

Hello,

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and wanted to know what everyone is using for their travel insurance.

I'd like to be able to bring my iPhone 4 (possibly 5), my Macbook Pro Retina and a dSLR with me, but afraid something might happen to it.

I want a travel insurance that is easy to use and mainly reliable without jumping thru too many hoops. Just something that works.

My trip will last two weeks.

Thanks for any advise.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It will help if you say where you live (and where you are going). :)

3. Roller macrumors 68020

Although it's understandable that you're worried about loss or damage to your gadgets, don't forget about healthcare coverage. Depending on what insurance you have at home, you may be very poorly or well covered in other places. As the previous poster said, though, where you live and where you're going are important.

4. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Live in California and going to Hong Kong and China.

----------

My cousin recommended ACE and AXA, but it appears to not cover ppl from the US...how odd.

5. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Step number one - If you purchase your flights/hotels using a credit card/through a travel web site, familiarize yourself with their policies. Might not be worth much for your equipment, but it's good to know what your options are if your flight gets canceled, etc.

Second, check your homeowners/renters insurance. You might be surprised about how you are already covered (or not covered as the case may be). While there, ask your regular carrier about your options while traveling. You might be surprised at what they offer versus a dedicated travel insurance company.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Two weeks? Is it possible to leave the laptop at home? It is a vacation after all.