Travel Internationally

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LaCosta, May 26, 2011.

1. LaCosta macrumors member

I am going to take a trip to the Northwest into Seattle...then head over to Vancouver BC. While in Vancouver, I don't want to rack up a huge bill for data usage (I use Verizon as my carrier).

For an iPhone4....what is the proper and best way (other than to shut the phone off) to avoid data usage? And when I have it in that mode, will I also be shut off from using wifi?

Is the way to access the 'network' settings and disable the 'data roaming' setting to the 'off' position? Any other things to do?

Thanks.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just turn data off, go into Settings, and turn 'cellular data' to off. Then you should be fine.

TEG

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

This works, or I think Verizon has a plan that will give you unlimited roaming in Canada so you could try calling and asking them about it.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Airplane mode is the foolproof method to ensure you're not using data. You can still use wifi in airplane.
    Turning off cellular data should also do the trick.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

+1 airplane mode on, then turn wifi back on is foolproof

6. LaCosta thread starter macrumors member

These are GREAT tips. I knew of airplane mode...but didn't know that I could toggle the wifi on independently. Excellent....