Travel Keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by scarrab666, Mar 27, 2012.

1. scarrab666 macrumors member

scarrab666

Hello All,

Looking for some tips here... I'm happy with my case, but I'd like a portable keyboard (can they fold up???) to go with my iPad (new iPad [iPad 3;)]). Any suggestions? I'm not super rich but willing to spend money if its a good one!

Priority is usability, size and weight (in that order). Thanks for your suggestions ahead of time.

2. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Since you're happy with your case already, I'd suggest the Apple Wireless Keyboard (AWK) with the Incase Origami Workstation. Here's a photo from their website (picture is linked to the product page):

[​IMG]

What I like about this setup is:
    • it's easier for me to type on the AWK than a lot of the smaller keyboards that are the same width as the iPad
    • the angle that it tilts the iPad is just right
    • easily switches between portrait and landscape orientation
    • when I'm done, it's easy to cover the keyboard and pack it up since it stays in the case.

The keyboard is ~$70 and the case is ~$30, so it's not cheap, but since I already owned the AWK it made sense to me. Good luck in your search!

3. laurenr, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

laurenr macrumors 6502a

I have the Logitech/Zagg keyboard case, into which the iPad clips, and find it super convenient, especially because of the dedicated iPad keys. It's actually built for the iPad 2, but fits my new device perfectly. They also make this one, which comes in a case that doubles as a stand:

[​IMG]

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/keyboards/devices/tablet-keyboard-ipad

This is my case, (see how conveniently it serves as an iPad case as well?):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/keyboards/devices/keyboard-case-ipad

4. chilady1 macrumors member

chilady1

I have the Origami workstation and I have to say I LOVE IT. When I first got my iPad2, I did have a case that had an integrated keyboard as part of the case. I found the case to be bulky and the keyboard was to small - lots of mistakes.

When I saw the Origami case, I was somewhat hesitant because I didn't want to carry two items, however, read many reviews and it seem that just about anyone who had this case loved it and I really like the AWK - it is the perfect size. Decided to give the OWS a try and I am glad that I did. It keeps my AWK safe and as the previous poster indicated, the angle is perfect and the case is iPad agnostic. It can work with anything from the iPad 1 - iPad3.

THere is another thread under Accessories and there is a theory that this case may not be around for much longer. I tried to purchase one from Incase a couple of weeks ago, but they were sold out online. I did manage to get one from the Apple Store. There was only 1 left and I don't know if they were going to get more. I have heard others mention Target as a place to get the case. THere is some speculation that this case could be phased out or perhaps get re-designed. Either way, I am very happy with my Origami Workstation and think it is the perfect solution. Good Luck with your search!

5. LittleRedBird macrumors member

I have the Incase origami workstation (coupled w/ the Apple Wireless Keyboard) and love it. I don't always need to take the keyboard with me so having it in a separate case is perfect. I got mine about a week ago from my local Apple store and they had a good number of them on the shelf. Looks like Incase will be restocking them on their site at the end of April. I've read complaints about the velcro coming loose, so I wonder if they are modifying that or if they are just sold out?

6. scarrab666, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

scarrab666 thread starter macrumors member

scarrab666

Keep the suggestions coming...

Hey Guys,

Thankyou all for all the replies. Lots of great suggestions here. I did omit to say that I've already tried the Apple Wireless Keyboard, but find it just slightly too big and as its in by backpack I've already lost some keys. I did a search last night and came across the Logitech Tablet Keyboard for iPad . Does anyone in the forum know if its any good (as I'm always a little dubious of Amazon's ratings, though I'm sure this is just me being paranoid.) . ***Edit: laurenr I see you've already mentioned it... Have you tried it?

Again Many thanks for taking the time to reply back!

7. neweipadfan macrumors member

do the zagg thing its the best, and it protects the apple keyboard is a big hassle

8. laurenr, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

laurenr macrumors 6502a

I have their other keyboard case, the one into which the iPad clips, so that it's like a cover. It was actually made for the iPad 2, but fits my new iPad perfectly. I mentioned before (in another thread), that the great convenience is having the Ipad-specific dedicated keys, that are just beyond useful. For example, there are keys to access the home button, Photo App, cut,copy, paste, music, volume, lock, search, play, pause for movies, etc.

Edit: another useful function are the directional keys, for placing the cursor in a specific place on a page, as well as the Command, Control and Option functions.

9. ufgatorbait macrumors newbie

Has anyone bought the new Zaggfolio leather designed for the newest gen iPad?

I'm curious how it compares to the carbon fiber.

10. scarrab666 thread starter macrumors member

scarrab666

Travel Keyboard

Hello All,

Just thought I'd let you know that I got the Logitech iPad keyboard. Its great and does what I need. Thanks for all of your help in finding the right keyboard for me!

Gav

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I have both the Apple BT keyboard and the Verbatim folding BT keyboard:

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard - Looks sexy, love the keyboard layout since its almost identical to my MBA. But you really need a cover for it or remember to take out the batteries when traveling or it has a tendancy to turn itself on and run them (or your iPad's battery) down if you aren't careful. It also doesn't fully support all iPad commands from the keyboard but I really am not too fussed about that. I already had this for one of my iMac's at the office so for me it was an easy re-use.

Verbatim Folding BT keyboard - Great key travel, love the folding/portability, not so crazy about how they implemented some of the keys. Because it is split down the middle some of the keys are a bit larger than the others. Most noticeable on the B and V keys. The V key is almost twice the size of the B key and ergonomically this throws me since I'm a touch typist. I keep thinking I've accidentally hit the space bar. But if you can live with that, or you aren't a speed/touch typist, its a great choice. Even includes a nifty little carrying case for the keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-9753...2E/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1333546620&sr=8-27

12. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

surprised there's already a bluetooth 4.0 keyboard out. but that vendor seems iffy. don't see that product offered anywhere else. no price either, phone number is non-us

13. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

14. Sinophile macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting the Logitech tablet keyboard. It comes with a nice faux leather carrying case, which I haven't seen on other models.

I wish it wasn't so expensive though.

15. ssspinball macrumors 6502

Just saw the Incase Origami Workstation on clearance at Target for $15...

16. SamR123 macrumors member

SamR123

I'm typing this from my Logitech Tablet Keyboard and I must say it's a great little keyboard. Cases combined with keyboards are not for me as I only ever have a need for the tablet keyboard like this once or twice a week. Maybe if I used it way more I could handle the added bulk.

For now I like this combination where I just have the keyboard in the bag I useally take when going out for more then a few hours. I wouldn't worry about the added weight but my bag is always for of crap anyways.

The sleeve doubling as a stand is actually pretty cool and might just be my favorite thing about it, I like how I can change the angels and that it is working with the case I use on my iPad.

The special buttons for iOS do work as they should but I do find myself using the touchscreen a whole lot because some basics just can't be done with the keyboard, like clicking links or opening apps.

I've got it from ebay equivalent for about 35 dollar, when you look you might find it for somewere around 40 to 50. I recommend it.