Travel Photos on ITouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by janreyes, Apr 22, 2009.

1. janreyes macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie. At the onset, I only want the ITouch to show my friends my travel photos and keep my Outlook Calendar on. I'm sure once I start using it, I'll use all the other features too.

My questions about photos on the ITouch are:

1. Can I make "albumns" to separate travel photos by destination? Or do they just get all jumbled together.

2. If I put my photos in order and then download them onto the ITouch, will they play back as I have downloaded them, or once again do they jumble them together and play them randomly. That is a problem with portable digital photo albumns. That's why I am looking at the ITouch and because the ITouch has better image resolution.

I don't want to go buy the ITouch and find out it won't show my photos as I want.

Thanks!!
    Jan

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I had a similar problem with my iPod Touch. I had to organize my photos on iPhoto into albums. Then when they were downloaded to the iPod Touch, I can pick specific albums to look at. It just takes a little experimenting.

4. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I sync my iPod Touch with my iPhoto library (on a Mac), and I can confirm that you can create albums of photos in iPhoto and then sync the albums with the Touch. In my experience the photos on the Touch are in the same order that they're in in the albums in iPhoto, but I don't think I've ever resequenced the photos within an album (on the computer) to see if they similarly resequence in on the Touch, but I suspect that they do. I'll try to remember to try that later and post back.

Unfortunately if you're syncing with a PC I don't have any idea of how photos are managed.

Incidentally, the Touch does make an excellent photo viewer, but if you get one I think you'll discover that it's much, much more than that. I thought I had a good idea what I was getting when I bought mine, and it's turned out to be cooler than I ever imagined by a longshot.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Friends and family are impressed by photos on the iPod Touch; you can rotate and zoom in. I've no idea how it would work on a windows PC.

6. janreyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Thanks everyone for your help. I use a PC. And from what I understand, I have to upload my photos into the ITouch using ITunes. I guess I can figure that out. I don't know anything about the IPhoto library.
    I guess I have a learning experience in front of me. If anyone has anymore info to share, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks again for info thus far.
    Jan

7. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

You specify in iTunes which photo library/libraries you want to sync, but iPhoto is a Mac only photo managing application. I can now confirm, for whatever it may be worth, that I can resequence photos in my iPhoto albums, and when I sync my Touch the photos resequence there too. I wish I could give you some insight into how it might work on a PC, but I can't.

8. janreyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Sandman for your help with the sequencing of the photos. Now I know and knowing is a good thing...

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm not sure what the structure is on the iPod for the files. It might be that each album in iPhoto would translate to a directory on the iPod; as a software engineer, this would seem to be the easiest way to do it without creating a fancy structure.

10. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I also sync my touch with a Mac and use iPhoto, but for the OP, I believe iTunes will look in your "My Pictures" directory and either allow you to sync all photos or selectively sync only some of them. Windows XP doesn't have a native photo app that uses albums, so unless iTunes can work with a third party app like Picassa, you may have to hope that individual subdirectories under "My Pictures" are treated as separate albums. Windows Vista has the Windows Photo Gallery, but I have no idea if iTunes knows how to access it.