Travel to Europe - Most Cost Effective Manner?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GFLPraxis, Jun 30, 2011.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hello all,

I live in Spokane, Washington, on the U.S. West Coast. I'm a dual U.S./Italian citizen, and lived several years in the Netherlands and Italy growing up, but haven't been there in close to a decade now (8-9 years I believe). My Italian grandmother is in her nineties and I'd really like to see her again, even if briefly. Would also love to go stay in the Netherlands for a while and see my old friends.

Unfortunately, it's expensive, but not beyond my means. What's more difficult is arranging the time off of work.

The better prices I've been seeing at are somewhere around $1500+ for the round trip. Obviously, things start to get more expensive when I look at traveling around and hotel rooms, but the main focus at the moment is the trip cost. If the cost is going to be so high, I guess the best way for me to do this is to plan the trip for sometime over a year from now and build up vacation time. But if I could get it cheaper, I might consider going sooner and just spending a week or so.

tl;dr version - I'd like to find the cheapest way to fly to either Amsterdam or Rome from Spokane, Washington. Anyone have any tips and tricks, as I've not utilized international travel before?

2. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Consider couch surfing while you're in Europe. You get to know some people and it saves you some money for the flight.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

don't go in the summer. Everything is more expensive for summer travel.