Travel To Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RJ17, Jul 2, 2008.

1. RJ17 macrumors regular

I am traveling to Europe this weekend. I want to be able to use my WIFI but not have to worry about data and voice charges. I know I can turn off data roaming but I have heard that some people have still been hit with really high charges even though data roaming was off. I have also heard that 2.0 will have airplane mode with WIFI on but since I am leaving before 2.0 is out, does anyone have any advice.

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I just got back. Turning off data roaming really turns it off. You there won't be any data charges on your bill. Not sure what you can do about voice minutes other than forcing all calls to go to voicemail and just ignoring the vm badges (if you are roaming on a carrier that sells the iphone VVM actually works).

3. RJ17 thread starter macrumors regular

What about SMS messages. You can't keep those from coming in. Will I get charged extra for those? I have tried to let people know I am going to be gone but I am sure some will still try to send me SMS

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Yeah, you can't turn those off. They could screw you there. Also you wouldn't get VVM if the data connection is off. So really your best bet is to lock your SIM. You won't get any calls/SMS that way.

5. RJ17 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I will try that. Can you please explain the process of locking my SIM. I guess I could always take the sim out too.

6. johnnyi macrumors regular

Why don't u just not take your Iphone with you,If you do not want any charges :p

7. RJ17 thread starter macrumors regular

While the above post was probably sarcastic, my reason is for the ipod features of the phone and the ability to use WIFI.

8. johnnyi macrumors regular

9. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

You should download the iPhone Users Guide, as I don't remember what the default pascode is for the SIM. It has the steps and I am pretty sure it has the default passcode.

10. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

You can just take out your SIM card.
    You could leave it at home... but if I were you, I'd bring it in case of emergency. Just leave it in one of your bags.... The iPod & Wifi will still work, but it won't connect to any networks.

=)

11. RJ17 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the information. If anyone else has any other ideas or suggestions I would appreciate them.

12. jeniferkey macrumors member

My understanding is that sms messages received are free and .50 if you send them from Europe. The per minute phone cost is over 1.00 and that is charged even if they call and leave a voice message because it goes through the network to do that.
    My plan is to tell everyone to not call, and probably answer any calls, so they can't leave long messages I can be billed for. I'll also probably leave the phone off most of the time and in airplane mode unless I find a wi-fi spot.
    When I go over, I might have the 3g by then, which they say allows for airplane mode on, but also wi-fi on. Except for missing text messages, that seems the best option for not using data or minutes.

13. RJ17 thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone confirm that I will be charged for calls recieved but not answered?

14. jeniferkey macrumors member

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7172050&#7172050

is where I got my info. The first 4 messages were conflicting, but I tended to trust the one from someone who had travelled with their iPhone and spoke with ATT.

I hadn't seen the last post, which gives a way to automate voice mail. That I might try out here. If it doesn't put the message in Visual Voice Mail, then I might believe it.

15. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I would call AT&T and force them to note the conversation on your account if they tell you that there would be no charges. I think the remove SIM card is the only true safe way to ensure there are no charges.

16. fedup flyer macrumors regular

No, text messages are .50 whether sent or received when you are overseas. If you sign up for the long distance plan (3.99 if I remember) the cost goes to .25 per message. You can also sign up for the int'l voice roaming (5.99) that knocks about .30 per min of voice usage charges. If you are charged for not answering you phone, you can call at&t and dispute the charges.

Secondly, do a search this as this has been covered before.