Travel Tripod Recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by diamond3, Feb 28, 2015.

1. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I've been looking into some travel tripods. The kind I can attach to my backpack on trips. I'd like to hear if anyone has tripods they use and like as well as any they've used and hated. Cost is a concern, but I'm not opposed to spending a little more if the value of the tripod makes it worth it. I've looked at Dolica and just a few on BH. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I do video as well, but for this tripod, a panning head isn't necessary.
    Thanks

2. close2reality macrumors 6502

I just picked up a Manfrotto Befree I have only had a few days with it but is very light. Aluminum. Tag of $199.00.

3. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

TBH with tripods IMHO you need to feel the quality and stability - that just can't be known from a picture so whatever you decide, try to get hands-on before buying...

5. TheReef, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I researched extensively a few years back looking for a good travel tripod and ended up with the Manfrotto 190CXPro4 - remove the head and it fits in most flight carry on. Decently sturdy for the size and weight, it's great for hiking.

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I went through the process of seeking out a travel tripod last year... and there is some great advice on the photography-on-the.net (POTN) forums.

What I was amazed to find is that you can get tripods that are lighter and more compact folded for travel than so-called "travel tripods" that are in-fact full size carbon fiber tripods.

Based on some solid reviews on POTN, I ended up with the Feisol CT-3441T legs. They are simply amazing. The build quality is outstanding and they are lighter than my old travel tripod, just as compact (even with the head mounted), as sturdy as any full-size tripod, and when extended are tall enough for a 6' person not to have to stoop over. :eek:

More info on the site here... http://www.feisol.net/feisol-traveler-tripod-ct3441t-rapid-p-107.html

Note that a key spec for gauging stability is the cross-sectional diameter of the legs.

7. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

8. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I agree that this is a nice lightweight travel tripod. What I would suggest is if people want a lightweight tripod, check the max height of the legs. When you see the difference between the Mefoto Travel and the MeFoto Globetrotter, the latter turns out to be still a lightweight tripod but much sturdier. In general, I try not to extend legs all the way unless I can weigh down the tripod (like hanging the camera bag from the center). The difference in cost is worthwhile if you are comfortable with a slightly heavier tripod that also when 'folded up' is slightly larger than the Traveler series.

9. filmbufs macrumors 6502

filmbufs

I like the MeFoto Roadtrip tripod. It extends to 61.6", folds down to 15.4", weighs only 3.6lbs and can support a DSLR with a large lens. Bonus that it easily converts to a monopod. http://www.mefoto.com/products/roadtrip.aspx

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I tried out a Manfrotto Befree carbon fibre model at a show and was really amazed at the weight. However the guy said it would be fine with my set up, but asking around, it's not going to be all that great with my 70-200 2.8 (as it weighs a ton). I'd like something lighter than my Manfrotto 190 set up, but not for the price it will set me back.