Travel- TSA and flight experience

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shelhed217, Apr 27, 2015.

1. shelhed217 macrumors member

I flew out of Richmond this am. Apple watch worked great at TSA had to flip my hand over for the scanner but no issues. The Delta app on the watch however appears to be non functional I used passbook. At the gate to board the plane I had to take the watch off to scan it because their scanners are above and you put what is scanned under :(
    I am interested to hear how other airlines are :)

----------

Forgot to add I wore it all the way through security no issues

2. ivandr macrumors regular

Do you have TSA Precheck? Otherwise I'm surprised that you weren't asked to take it off your wrist

3. shelhed217 thread starter macrumors member

No precheck here, I've worn a Fitbit through security for several months with no issue so I'm not surprised. I fly 3 weeks out of 4.

4. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

I tried it this morning on Delta, and had an issue where the watch would turn off when I turned my wrist to have it scanned. So, I just use the paper backup. lol. I'll try it again on my next flight in an hour.

5. sodaftl macrumors member

sodaftl

Good to hear it worked with some twisting of the wrist (!).

Did you check any bags? I'd be curious to know if the kiosk and agent can take the boarding pass on the watch as opposed to the phone or a piece of paper, because of the wrist in the way...

6. colburnr macrumors regular

Just tap on the screen when you turn your wrist...Might be a little odd, but it should activate the screen. Let us know how you do!

7. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

On the 2nd flight from Atlanta to Baltimore, I swiped down the notifications and tapped on the Delta Passbook entry for that flight. Flipped my wrist and it worked like a breeze. The agent stated that mine was the 2nd she had saw today.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

You should totally get Pre-Check! It would be the best $85 you'll spend. :D

Which watch do you have? I'm wondering if the link band would set off the metal detector.

9. colburnr macrumors regular

Awesome!

10. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

No. Paying $85 just for pre-check is a waste of money.

Get Global Entry, $100 for 5 years and has all the benefits of pre-check + Sentri/Nexus at land borders + allows you to skip the line at U.S. Customs when entering the country via air.

11. killawat, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

killawat macrumors 65816

Not always. Compared to GE that's an overall better value, but precheck is faster to obtain. No interview required (which were booked out in my area).

12. KPOM macrumors G5

I have Global Entry, as well. The best deal is if you live near Canada and can get a Nexus Card for $50. Either way, it lets you keep your Apple Watch, jacket, and shoes on, and your MacBook inside its case.

13. ckiggins macrumors 6502

Precheck member here and love it! I looked into GE, but I couldn't get an interview at any airport near me.

14. KPOM macrumors G5

Hopefully you aren't near the riots. :(

15. Hijump24 macrumors newbie

Or you can be a pilot and not go thru any security ;)

16. iwayne macrumors 6502

iwayne

I have both GE & Pre-Check, I didn't know any better and got the Pre-Check first then smartened up and got GE later on. I too will be using the watch tomorrow at the airport.
    GE is totally worth it!!

17. shelhed217 thread starter macrumors member

I have the SS with black leather band.
    I do need to get atleast precheck, I keep putting it off :/
    I checked in for my Marriott room this Am via watch. I can't wait to stay at a Starwood property so I can try opening a room door!

18. WJKramer macrumors 6502

I am an airline pilot and we always go through security. (unless KCM)

19. killawat macrumors 65816

Oh man, definitely. I don't even fly that much but the amount of thrill I get cruising on by those insanely long lines borders on ridiculous. Love the glares. It all stops once I get to the boarding area but for 5 minutes I feel like a boss.

20. cwosigns macrumors 65816

It doesn't make sense for the Marriott app to not remember my sign in. Their Apple Watch app loses any convenience it may offer when I have to pull out my phone to sign in. I can't believe they pushed out an AW app and didn't think of this.

21. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Nexus is the best deal out there.

Nexus gives you all 3 services (Nexus, Global Entry & TSA Pre-Check) for $50/5 years.

/Jim

----------

I stopped using the Marriott App on my iPhone as well. It does not remember you password there either. All of my passwords are very complex, very long passwords... and all are unique. I use 1Password as my password manager.

/Jim

22. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

Well... Flying back home, and I tried it in BWI. At TSA it worked like a charm. Then at the Delta gate, they have the over head scanner. I basically had to stick my hand underneath the scanner. With me trying and even the agent guiding my hand and wrist, it didn't work.

It worked great in ATL too.