Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I'll be traveling to Europe and I need some tech advice.

First question: does anyone have any recommendations on adaptor converters? I plan on taking my iPad mini, Nexus 6, iPhone 6+, and my Canon DSLR. I want to make sure I get a good one so there won't be any problems.

I did see that Apple has a world travel kit just wonder if there's something perhaps better or cheaper that will work with all my devices.

Second, is there any prepaid sims that you guys or gals recommend for Europe? How is it when using imessage abroad? I know I need data but is it user friendly or should I use another service to stay connected with family and friends?

Thank you all in advance for participating! I appreciate it :)

Last edited:

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
43 views and zilch?

C'mon guys, there has to be someone out there with experience traveling abroad.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Buy a usb charger over here. Any one will do and they are cheap. that will do the nexus and the ipad. The Canon should be universal so all you need is a travel adapter (from whatever to U.S. 2 pin) - Every airport has one for a couple of bucks.

As for a sim. Depends on the countries you're going to. I have a Three UK pay as you go sim for £15/month - Unlimited date, 3K texts and 300 minutes and free roaming in 18 countries. There are other less well known sim only deals and google is your friend there. I'm assuming the Nexus is a GSM model - check the frequencies to make sure it will in the countries you're visiting.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I travel abroad frequently. In fact I'm abroad right now.

Since the vast majority of devices you are likely to be traveling with are universal 100-240v AC 50/60hz I prefer the really slim, simple adapters like these http://www.amazon.com/Generic-EU-6P...0161233&sr=8-2&keywords=us+to+two+pin+adapter
rather than the more bulky units that try to do everything but end up being less reliable as a result. If you know what countries you are going to, check what style they use first.

What I do is then also carry a small travel surge protector/power strip like this. http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OT...35&sr=8-1&keywords=monster+travel+power+strip Then I can use that one adapter to plug in, and get 3 outlets and a USB charging port.

I don't use prepaid sims for the most part when traveling, but then I can generally expense my data costs. AT&T for example will give you 300MB of data, unlimited texts, and .50/min international calling for $60/month or for 30 days for a one-time fee. Reset you data counter and generally leave Data Roaming turned off in Settings and this will give you a surprising amount of use. iMessage generally works fine, although sometimes when the data network is spotty I turn it off so that it only uses text messages which are more reliable on weak or poor networks.

If you need a lot of data, a lot of talk minutes, or you need people who live there to be able to call you cheap or for free, a local prepaid SIM is likely the better way to go.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I travel abroad frequently. In fact I'm abroad right now.

Since the vast majority of devices you are likely to be traveling with are universal 100-240v AC 50/60hz I prefer the really slim, simple adapters like these http://www.amazon.com/Generic-EU-6P...0161233&sr=8-2&keywords=us+to+two+pin+adapter
rather than the more bulky units that try to do everything but end up being less reliable as a result. If you know what countries you are going to, check what style they use first.

What I do is then also carry a small travel surge protector/power strip like this. http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OT...35&sr=8-1&keywords=monster+travel+power+strip Then I can use that one adapter to plug in, and get 3 outlets and a USB charging port.

I don't use prepaid sims for the most part when traveling, but then I can generally expense my data costs. AT&T for example will give you 300MB of data, unlimited texts, and .50/min international calling for $60/month or for 30 days for a one-time fee. Reset you data counter and generally leave Data Roaming turned off in Settings and this will give you a surprising amount of use. iMessage generally works fine, although sometimes when the data network is spotty I turn it off so that it only uses text messages which are more reliable on weak or poor networks.

If you need a lot of data, a lot of talk minutes, or you need people who live there to be able to call you cheap or for free, a local prepaid SIM is likely the better way to go.

Thank you for responding!

Definitely going to get a power strip just to be safe.

The adaptor you recommended isn't available for prime members but now you've given me an idea what to look out for.

In reference to att international plan, is it really worth it? We plan on using the data for getting around (maps), imessage to keep in touch, and the occasional calling home. I was told to buy the pre-paid sim from Vodafone called EuroTraveler.

Again, any info would be greatly appreciated.

----------

Buy a usb charger over here. Any one will do and they are cheap. that will do the nexus and the ipad. The Canon should be universal so all you need is a travel adapter (from whatever to U.S. 2 pin) - Every airport has one for a couple of bucks.

As for a sim. Depends on the countries you're going to. I have a Three UK pay as you go sim for £15/month - Unlimited date, 3K texts and 300 minutes and free roaming in 18 countries. There are other less well known sim only deals and google is your friend there. I'm assuming the Nexus is a GSM model - check the frequencies to make sure it will in the countries you're visiting.

I'll be traveling to Brussels, London, Paris, and Amsterdam.

I was under the impression that the Nexus 6 should be compatible over there.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
If you are going to mainland Europe and Great Britain, you'll either need a universal adapter or get a second, more compact one for GB where they use the large 3 pin style.

Your Nexus is definitely compatible - but check whatever USB brick you are bringing to be sure - it should give you the range of compatible voltages in fine print.

I don't have any experience with that specific SIM card - you'll have to figure out how much it costs and what you get for that and whether that outweighs the more expensive, but simpler method of continuing to use your own phone number. My question would be how iMessage will work when you switch sims? Since it associates with an email as well as a phone number it will likely work fine, but it's one more place where things can get tangled.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Get a google voice number, and before you leave have all your calls forwarded to your google voice number, this way you will still get your calls and just pay for data. You can do the same with Skype if you prefer.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Get a google voice number, and before you leave have all your calls forwarded to your google voice number, this way you will still get your calls and just pay for data. You can do the same with Skype if you prefer.

Sweet! I'm gonna have my number forward to my GV.. I'm also gonna create a skype account to be safe.

Thank you!

BTW, If you guys any cool spots to visit, feel free to share :)

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Thank you for responding!

Definitely going to get a power strip just to be safe.

The adaptor you recommended isn't available for prime members but now you've given me an idea what to look out for.

In reference to att international plan, is it really worth it? We plan on using the data for getting around (maps), imessage to keep in touch, and the occasional calling home. I was told to buy the pre-paid sim from Vodafone called EuroTraveler.

Again, any info would be greatly appreciated.

----------

I'll be traveling to Brussels, London, Paris, and Amsterdam.

I was under the impression that the Nexus 6 should be compatible over there.

The UK (london) and the rest of Europe have different plugs so this is what I travel with. Power strip, adapter, and then usually one more adapter specific for the country I'm going to (UK and Europe).

As for SIM, I have TMO now and the Simple Choice plan allows free roaming but I also still take an unlocked phone (out of habit). I have had my 3 UK mobile account for years and they also allow free roaming (Feel At Home) in the EU. You could buy a prepaid SIM in London and take that around with you. Though I'm not sure how long the account needs to be active to be able to do that. Be sure you check to make sure the countries you are going to are covered under their agreements.

But before I had TMO and I was under the Death Star grips (AT&T) I would take my unlocked phone and buy a local SIM for whatever country I was headed to. They can be easily found in airports, train stations, grocery stores, etc. Topping up is also quite easy. I've purchased vouchers from ATMs and grocery stores. France is a little harder to get a prepaid. I've never purchased one from there. I used my UK mobile for data roaming. it was cheaper than AT&T roaming by a mile.

The tip about fwd to a Google Voice # and then Skype is also good advice. I did that pre-TMO as well.

Last edited:

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
You will need the generic/universal adapter that was mentioned by other members.
What concerns the SIM question, please check Vodafone and there Vodafone Red or other options for roaming that suit your needs. They have the best choices.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Great idea! Forgot about GV!

----------

Sweet! I'm gonna have my number forward to my GV.. I'm also gonna create a skype account to be safe.

Thank you!

BTW, If you guys any cool spots to visit, feel free to share :)

Safe travels HIDEF...be sure to post some photos! :)

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Great idea! Forgot about GV!

----------

Safe travels HIDEF...be sure to post some photos! :)

Thanks jamez!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to everyone offering recommendations, thank you! I'll check them out as soon as I'm done with my exams.

Last edited:

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
The UK (london) and the rest of Europe have different plugs so this is what I travel with. Power strip, adapter, and then usually one more adapter specific for the country I'm going to (UK and Europe).

As for SIM, I have TMO now and the Simple Choice plan allows free roaming but I also still take an unlocked phone (out of habit). I have had my 3 UK mobile account for years and they also allow free roaming (Feel At Home) in the EU. You could buy a prepaid SIM in London and take that around with you. Though I'm not sure how long the account needs to be active to be able to do that. Be sure you check to make sure the countries you are going to are covered under their agreements.

But before I had TMO and I was under the Death Star grips (AT&T) I would take my unlocked phone and buy a local SIM for whatever country I was headed to. They can be easily found in airports, train stations, grocery stores, etc. Topping up is also quite easy. I've purchased vouchers from ATMs and grocery stores. France is a little harder to get a prepaid. I've never purchased one from there. I used my UK mobile for data roaming. it was cheaper than AT&T roaming by a mile.

The tip about fwd to a Google Voice # and then Skype is also good advice. I did that pre-TMO as well.

I just got around to looking at your recommendations but I must say, I'm a little lost.

I'm definitely going to buy the power strip (great tip, btw). However, when it comes to the converter, should I buy one for London and one for the rest of Europe? Or is the FosPower FUSE World-Wide Universal AC International Adapter Travel Charger (is it this just a charger or its an adaptor as well?) enough for my travels? I ask cause I also notice you posted two other links to two different adapters.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I just got around to looking at your recommendations but I must say, I'm a little lost.

I'm definitely going to buy the power strip (great tip, btw). However, when it comes to the converter, should I buy one for London and one for the rest of Europe? Or is the FosPower FUSE World-Wide Universal AC International Adapter Travel Charger (is it this just a charger or its an adaptor as well?) enough for my travels? I ask cause I also notice you posted two other links to two different adapters.

This one is enough for the countries you have mentioned (includiing UK/London): http://www.amazon.com/FosPower-Worl...4217&sr=8-3&keywords=universal+travel+charger.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

I, personally, take a universal + a dedicated country adapter, so that's 2 adapters. It's up to you how many you want to take. The universal adapter I linked to also has 2 USB ports. If you're only in London for a couple of days, the universal will prob be fine. + hotels usually have spares you can borrow if needed.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I, personally, take a universal + a dedicated country adapter, so that's 2 adapters. It's up to you how many you want to take. The universal adapter I linked to also has 2 USB ports. If you're only in London for a couple of days, the universal will prob be fine. + hotels usually have spares you can borrow if needed.

Thank you! appreciate the info :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.