Traveling Abroad with Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nnordrum, Jun 14, 2007.

1. nnordrum macrumors newbie

Hi,

Wondering what we'll need for a trip abroad to Israel for power. I was going to try and just charge everything (except the mac, obviously) through USB, but our Sony pocket camera doesn't charge through USB, so since we have to bring a wall wart for that, there's no point in getting the apple international power thingie.

We just got a Belkin F8E449 "Universal AC Travel Adapter", but on the back it says in huge bold letters, "DOES NOT CONVERT VOLTAGE".

It also says, "Note: This great tool does not convert voltage. Your connected device must be rated to handle both 110- and 20-240-volt standards."

Will this work with the MBPro 85w adapter, or should I get something else? If not, anybody have any suggestions of what worked for them? Also, if it does work, how do I find out of my sony adapter will work...

Thanks in advance,

Noah

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't know about the Macbook Pro power adapter and I don't have one to check, but most electric things work fine on any of theose voltages, there should be some small print on the charger that will tell you what voltages it can handle.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yes it will work. It does not convert voltage, it just changes the plug so that you can plug it in the wall. Your MBP adapter is rated for 100-240 V so it converts the voltage.

You will have to check the adapter for the Sony but mostly likely it is 100-240V as well.

4. nnordrum thread starter macrumors newbie

duh...

ah. I never noticed that before (never really looked at the label before...). cool. thx.

Input: 100-240V~1.5A (1,5A) 50-60 Hz