Traveling and Roaming Fees

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by diiamond89, Sep 25, 2010.

1. diiamond89 macrumors member

diiamond89

I am traveling to Mexico tomorrow, and i was wondering about the roaming fees and different costs like that.
    Whats everything that im going to get charged for? And what is the things i can do to prevent these charges?
    Does txting cause roaming fees like calling does?
    How bout Wi-fi??
    Sorry bout all the questions I just dont want a huge bill when i get back. Thanks =]

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

First and foremost, you're going to want to go into settings -> General -> Network and turn off Cellular Data and Data Roaming when you get on the plane.

Additional travel tips can be found here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp

If you don't do this, data roaming in Mexico will cost you $.0195/KB, or about $19.96 per MB. Yeah.

WiFi, however, will NOT cost you anything unless the WiFi hotspot itself charges you something. Use of WiFi is not controlled by AT&T or the cellular companies in Mexico, and it doesn't count as roaming.

Text messaging internationally also incurs roaming fees: $0.50 per text message sent or received, and $1.30 per MMS message (photo or video). Or, you can get a $10 add-on that gives you a bucket of 50 international text messages.

If you absolutely must use cellular data, there is a data roaming add-on you can order that will give you a small bucket of roaming data. But you're better off using WiFi exclusively, if you can.

As for voice: It's $0.99 per minute in Mexico, OR $0.59 per minute if you get the $4.99 Viva Mexico roaming add-on.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sage advice for sure.

The word "ouch" comes to mind.

When using roaming it's very easy to rack up the costs. Tread carefully.

4. diiamond89 thread starter macrumors member

diiamond89

thanks. What happens if I put it on airplane mode?

5. SiftWinnow macrumors member

The best idea would be to turn airplane mode on, then turn WiFi back on. If you only turn airplane mode on, you won't be able to use WiFi.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm in London, and I turned off everything as suggested above and turned on airplane mode too (probably overkill)

Then turned WiFi back on to connect to free WiFi
    Works well

7. SiftWinnow macrumors member

That's what I did too on a recent trip to Canada. Having that airplane icon in the upper left gave me that extra reassurance that everything that could cost me roaming fees was off.

8. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

I remove my SIM when traveling internationally. This also allows me to use wifi without ever encountering any extra charges.

9. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

How about contacting your operator and asking them these questions as they would undoubtedly know what you are asking? Makes sense huh?