Traveling case for link bracelet only

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by amazing38, May 15, 2015.

1. amazing38 macrumors newbie

Can anyone make any suggestions on a traveling case for the link bracelet only? I've been using my sport band as my "daily/work/gym" band and planning to use the link bracelet as my "formal" band. I want to find a case for the link bracelet so I won't scratch it up when I throw it in my backpack or luggage.

I'm currently using an old sunglass case (box shaped case) to store the link bracelet itself. It's not ideal because under the right conditions (from movement, shaking, etc...), the bracelet would roll up on itself and potentially scratch.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. smr macrumors 6502a

I assume that you bought the watch with the link bracelet and then bought the sport band separately?

One advantage of buying the link bracelet separately is that it comes in a nice case that can be used for storage (as seen in this post).

I guess you could search eBay to see if anyone is selling their link bracelet case, or ask in the Marketplace.

3. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

The problem with that case is once you take even one link out the band no longer fits in the case. One could possibly take the insert out and just wrap the band in a soft cloth so it doesn't slide around, but the same result could be achieved with one of those tin pencil cases.

----------

You could try a case for reading glasses. They are much smaller with less potential for the watch to roll up on itself. Wrap the band in a soft cloth before putting it in the case and it likely wouldn't move around at all.

4. Bob Banjo macrumors newbie

An even easier solution would be to just wear the stainless steel link most of the time since it's literally made of steel and designed to be worn, and just switch to the sport strap (which you can easily throw in your backpack or whatever without worrying about) when you're working out.

Wearing the stainless steel link most of the time also has the added benefit of making it look like you're wearing a watch designed for adults.

5. smr macrumors 6502a

I didn't realize/think about that :eek:

Perhaps the case insert comes out and then it might be possible to cut out a section in the middle (the same length as the removed links) to give a snug fit to a shorter band?

My separate link order is due before the end of the month so I might try this then.

6. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

7. amazing38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, I bought the watch with the link bracelet, and bought a white sport band separately. I'll keep an eye out if anyone pulled the insert out of the OEM case. Thanks!

----------

Yeah, I was thinking of buying a reading glasses case and use microfiber to wrap it up.

I was just thinking I could also see if I can find a Pelican case, but with more "universal" foam.

http://www.pelican.com/case_category.php?CaseSize=Micro Case

----------

Yeah, I did that yesterday for my flight so my link bracelet wouldn't get banged up in my backpack. Maybe I'm just very sensitive to this but I find unadjustable watch metal bracelets to be very uncomfortable, presumably because of changing hydration levels or temperature. I really don't want to be wearing that link bracelet more than I need to because of 1) comfort 2) and keeping it in 'mint' condition for formal/social/adult events, haha.

So yeah, I still would rather find a case for this!

----------

Hypothetically, if you just stored only the milanese loop in that case (without the watch), do you think it would roll on itself? That's my only concern about that case. The link bracelet is a lot less likely to roll on itself so maybe this isn't that big of a concern.

Thanks! I might just give that case a shot.

8. susan12369 macrumors 6502

The magnetic closure on the Milanese loop would probably make it roll on itself, now that you mention it. I bought it primarily to have a safe place to put my entire watch when I go to the beach, etc., so wasn't thinking about the case of just the band.

9. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

That case actually looks pretty perfect. The raised padding in the middle, both top and bottom, should meet in the middle and prevent the band from rolling. You could still wrap it in microfiber to be doubly sure. At that point it's more about form factor. Rectangular or round. I kind of like the round, but maybe not as easy to slip into a jacket or shirt pocket...

10. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

Great idea. Someone else is using a Jawbone Up case that's cheaper but doesn't look as nice as the Oakley case.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1881762&highlight=jawbone+up

11. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Depending on how many links you remove, the bracelet may fit with one or both clasps open.

12. Voragon macrumors member

Voragon

Have this type case fits my SS 38mm with classic and sport. I also leave it open and charge in it. Works. Safe. Secure.

13. rhsmd1 macrumors member

News flash!.
    it's gonna scratch with any use. get used to wearing a watch.

14. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

15. amazing38 thread starter macrumors newbie

16. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

Is this the LARGE case (Oakley 07-234 Large Watch Soft Vault Storage Case) also is that the 38mm SS watch in your case ?

I'm thinking at buying this case but the description says the case is 5.2inches wide ? Looking at your picture my 42MMSS with Link should fit in the case with lots of room left.

Another similar case is the (CASEBUDi Watch Travel Case - Small - Black)

Thanks for posting your pictures and info :)

17. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Yes, it is the large case and my 38mm watch in the photos. I just went and got it out of my glovebox and it's not 5.2" wide. Diameter is 3.75" and height at the highest point is a little under 2.5" Your 42mm should fit great in it. There is lots of room left with my 38mm, but because of the design, it holds it in place well.

18. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

Thank you very much for your information about the Oakley case, Oakley made different sizes of this case and only the (Large) is available now. It's been discontinued with Amazon selling the (Large) only. Glad it's not 5.2inches wide as advertised, will order one from the link you provided. Thanks :)

19. amazing38 thread starter macrumors newbie

20. smr, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015

smr macrumors 6502a

My link bracelet (LB) arrived last Friday and I have been wearing it since. My white sports band arrived today, so I returned to the issue of storing the LB.

A reduced size LB CAN be safely stored/transported in the LB box as shown in the attached photo i.e. as two separate pieces. Note that Apple recommend that you "Press a quick release button first so that the Link Bracelet is in two pieces before you attempt to remove or resize it." So storing it in two pieces is actually less effort and less risk than keeping it as a single band. (The risk being I try to attach it as a single band.)

I have a multi-compartment organiser case for Apple bits so the spare link can be stored in there.

Attached Files:

21. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

I too am looking for a case for my link bracelet with the same requirements. I want one that I can store the link in without it rolling. I ordered the space black so I don't have the Apple link case and I can't find one on eBay at the moment. I'd like to hear any other ideas out there!

22. jjlannoo Suspended

Why are you so worried about it getting scratched? It will be scratched in short order no matter what you use if you ever wear it.