Traveling -- power considerations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arsimoun, Nov 11, 2014.

1. arsimoun macrumors member

I have a RMBP that I bought in the United States. Business is taking me to England and various other countries in Europe. What do I need to do about power? Are there any particularly good adaptors? Any to be avoided? Does Apple have any cool ways of dealing with this?

Thanks much.

Adam Rodman

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

all you need is the appropriate plug for your power supply. apple sells one kit. All modern PCs handle whatever power supply you use, be it 50/60hz or 120/240 volt.

3. arsimoun thread starter macrumors member

4. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Best to get a universal adaptor as the apple kit, while cool, will only allow you to plug your power supply into the wall whereas you may want to charge other devices using the adaptor. Beware your electric razor or such things may not handle the 240volts.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Apple sells a kit with all plugs for your magsafe. I believe they call it the "World Traveler Kit".

6. arsimoun thread starter macrumors member

I will head on over to the nearest Apple store and take a look.

Thanks.

Adam Rodman

7. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Apple's kit will be very expensive compared to third party adapters.

All you need is something to change a US plug into the plug used in the country you're visiting. The actual power adapter itself that you already own can work on any voltage in any country - between 110 to 250 Vac at 50 or 60 Hz, which covers pretty much all countries in the world.

Target or Meijer or your local grocery store of choice probably has a bunch of adapters that you can use, or you can just buy a figure-8 power cable in the country you end up visiting (here's the one for the UK, for example).

This set on amazon.com has all the plugs you need for the UK and Europe and it's $11.

Edit: what the hell is up with the links? It's like they're being hijacked? I think I've fixed them. That was odd.

8. arsimoun thread starter macrumors member