Traveling/Shipping 24" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by harryhood, Dec 16, 2009.

1. harryhood macrumors regular

I am moving from Chicago to Bozeman, MT and need to get my 24" iMac there. We are shipping all of our stuff in a giant pod, not really worried about it being smashed around in there, but it travels through REALLY cold areas, we just drove there and it was -8 for 10 hours. That may not be good for a computer..

So.. I'm not quite sure the best way to get it there? Should I just package it up and ship it to myself?

I dont think we are driving, we are flying - most likely will be too big for flying/luggage.

Any comments or advice welcome.

2. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I am on a similar situation, but I would like to ship mine overseas and I am concerned whether I should go with USPS for around $200 or ship it through an ocean freight!!! :eek:

As for your situation, shipping through USPS won't be much and it would be way safer than the airlines.

BTW, I don't think -8 for 10 hours would affect any of the computer parts since it won't be really -8 inside the well packed box. You can always wrap it with a blanket :D

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...depending on how quickly you set it up, be prepared for some "stuck" pixels... let it warm up a bit to room temp first instead...

4. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I'd just ship it there.
    Sounds like the safest thing to do.
    The way I see it, airports these days are SUPER protective on computer.
    Haven't you heard about some girl's MacBook Pro getting shot 3 times by the security?
    If not, check out the story here: http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/16/airport-security-guards-kill-literally-kill-a-macbook/

But yeah, I'd personally ship it to myself. You can never go wrong there.
    I trust FedEx more than airplanes lol