Traveling to Belgium - US iPhone work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Heinekev, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Heinekev macrumors member

I have an AT&T 1.1.2 iPhone here in the states. In early July, I am going to be spending 2 weeks in Belgium. I'm curious if my phone will work over there?

It looks like Orange offers EDGE service there and Apple has an agreement for the iPhone with them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_SA

Will I need a new SIM? Is it even practical to bother with that considering it's only 2 weeks worth of time?

If I don't get a new SIM, will my phone roam?

I know nothing about international cell service, even though I have traveled quite a bit. Help :(

2. bobdc6 macrumors newbie

Your IPhone will work in Belgium if you activate international roaming with ATT (free). It's $1.29/min. Be sure to turn off data roaming and email (in settings), or you'll get a HUGE bill. Ask ATT about dialing rules if you don't already know them. Calls back to the US are a plus, then one, then area code, then number, like this: +1 212 5551212.

3. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I just used my iPhone in Belgium this past November. It works great, and there are several carriers you can choose from for service, but phone will select the "best" choice for the area. In settings, I turned OFF Edge roaming, set my email to check manually, and you're safe. I was there for 2 weeks, so what I did was buy the $60 international plan from AT&T for 50 megs of use. When you get there, make sure you re set your statistics under Usage, so you can keep an eye on how much data you use, if you do buy the plan for the trip. There was wifi around, but the iPhone had trouble connecting to many of the wifi spots.

Be safe, buy the data plan for $60, keep edge OFF until you need to use email or safari, and make sure you manually check email, and you'll be happy when you get you're next bill.

Have fun in Belgium, that country RULES. I'll be back there in June!

4. Zukum macrumors member

Listen carefully.

I went to Mexico for 2 weeks and took my iphone only to use wi-fi in the house I was staying at. I turned off data roaming and wasn't going to make or receive any calls to avoid international charges. Over the course of the 2 weeks I had 10 or so calls from friends that I simply didn't answer after I saw who it was. I thought I was so clever. Well, when I got my bill, I still was charged for those calls even though I didn't answer them! They counted as 1 minute calls each, which really added up! If for whatever reason you decide not to get some kind of international plan, keep your phone TURNED OFF when not using wi-fi. The ATT rep told me that this was the only way to avoid charges.

5. SVD001 macrumors newbie

To bad you're not comming sooner..
    you could bring a Iphone for me.. :mad:

Belgium Rulez.. but not for buying an Iphone

6. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Another option is to put your iPhone in airplane mode when you aren't making calls.

BTY, international roaming charges start as soon as your phone rings.

I also believe that there is a $20 international data plan. Call AT&T to confirm. You should be able to have these plans turned on before you travel and turned off as soon as you get back. You would probably still have to pay for the month though. Either way, I would pay for one of the plans if you plan on using data.

7. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

That post says it all. I used mine last July in Belgium, Holland and Ireland.
    Have Fun! Hopefully you'll see Brugges.