Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Hi
I know this has been discussed, however I did not find any recent discussions and it seems like things have since changed

I'm going to Toronto for just a few days and I want to get an ipad plan. I don't really care who the provider is. I called Rogers and they claim that there's no more prepaid ipad plans in canada anymore. Called bell, the rep wasn't too sure himself.

I thought it's like AT&T where you just put in a sim and click on view account and work your way from there

Does anyone have a carrier suggestion and what I need to buy in advance? I was thinking a sim off eBay but I also just found out I can go to an apple store there and just ask for a SIM card

Based on my research it seems like you need to go through some activation process over the phone? Not too sure, very confusing.

Thanks in advance!

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Do you really need to go through all this trouble to get data over there just for a few days?

Comment

gwsmith

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Hi
I know this has been discussed, however I did not find any recent discussions and it seems like things have since changed

I'm going to Toronto for just a few days and I want to get an ipad plan. I don't really care who the provider is. I called Rogers and they claim that there's no more prepaid ipad plans in canada anymore. Called bell, the rep wasn't too sure himself.

I thought it's like AT&T where you just put in a sim and click on view account and work your way from there

Does anyone have a carrier suggestion and what I need to buy in advance? I was thinking a sim off eBay but I also just found out I can go to an apple store there and just ask for a SIM card

Based on my research it seems like you need to go through some activation process over the phone? Not too sure, very confusing.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't traveled to Canada but I have a Wifi mini and when I looked into it, tethering and data sharing on my iPhone plan was the best way to go. It worked well. What cellular service will you use in Canada? Does it have a good data plan with tethering?

Comment

GDF

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
I travel to Ontario frequently and our last trip their in October, I could not get any of the SIM cards from Bell, Rogers or Telus to activate on the iPad 4. They used to have prepaid plans, but not sure if they do anymore and none of the stores were very helpful.

In my iPad Air I am using a t-mobile SIM card and am curious if there free international data roaming will work in Canada.

Comment

Jades

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Do you really need to go through all this trouble to get data over there just for a few days?

I have responsibilities. If you were running a business you would be doing the same

GDF said:
I travel to Ontario frequently and our last trip their in October, I could not get any of the SIM cards from Bell, Rogers or Telus to activate on the iPad 4. They used to have prepaid plans, but not sure if they do anymore and none of the stores were very helpful.

In my iPad Air I am using a t-mobile SIM card and am curious if there free international data roaming will work in Canada.

Yep my phone is tmobile so I might just end up doing the same if this is the case

Thanks

Comment

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
The T-Mobile international roaming is for post-paid plans. You might check the international forums on howardforums.com

Comment

iphoneuserinyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
According to the Apple Canada site (see attached screenshot), there should still be iPad plans available.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 2.38.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 2.38.47 PM.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 45
Comment

Richard8655

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago
Assuming you're staying in a hotel, most offer free wifi. You could do much of your business iPad work from there? Also various cafés and fast food businesses.

Seems to me also too much trouble when you can get temporary internet for free.

Comment

iWeekend

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Hi

The CRTC recently (August?) changed the "rules" to allow us to have 2 year cell contracts, instead of the "old" Canadian standard of 3 years. The cell companies reacted in predicatable ways.

According to the Apple Canada site (see attached screenshot), there should still be iPad plans available.

The big players HAVE plans, they just are now monthly contracts (as far as I can see anyways). I assume the OP is looking for a prepaid ipad plan.

virgin mobile might be an option for prepaid but I can't confirm that.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.