Carrier Traveling to canada - ipad plan advice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jades, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Jades macrumors 6502

Hi
    I know this has been discussed, however I did not find any recent discussions and it seems like things have since changed

I'm going to Toronto for just a few days and I want to get an ipad plan. I don't really care who the provider is. I called Rogers and they claim that there's no more prepaid ipad plans in canada anymore. Called bell, the rep wasn't too sure himself.

I thought it's like AT&T where you just put in a sim and click on view account and work your way from there

Does anyone have a carrier suggestion and what I need to buy in advance? I was thinking a sim off eBay but I also just found out I can go to an apple store there and just ask for a SIM card

Based on my research it seems like you need to go through some activation process over the phone? Not too sure, very confusing.

Thanks in advance!

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Do you really need to go through all this trouble to get data over there just for a few days?

3. gwsmith macrumors member

I haven't traveled to Canada but I have a Wifi mini and when I looked into it, tethering and data sharing on my iPhone plan was the best way to go. It worked well. What cellular service will you use in Canada? Does it have a good data plan with tethering?

4. GDF macrumors regular

I travel to Ontario frequently and our last trip their in October, I could not get any of the SIM cards from Bell, Rogers or Telus to activate on the iPad 4. They used to have prepaid plans, but not sure if they do anymore and none of the stores were very helpful.

In my iPad Air I am using a t-mobile SIM card and am curious if there free international data roaming will work in Canada.

5. Jades thread starter macrumors 6502

I have responsibilities. If you were running a business you would be doing the same

Yep my phone is tmobile so I might just end up doing the same if this is the case

Thanks

6. protoxx macrumors 6502

protoxx

The T-Mobile international roaming is for post-paid plans. You might check the international forums on howardforums.com

7. iphoneuserinyyz macrumors member

According to the Apple Canada site (see attached screenshot), there should still be iPad plans available.

Attached Files:

8. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Assuming you're staying in a hotel, most offer free wifi. You could do much of your business iPad work from there? Also various cafés and fast food businesses.

Seems to me also too much trouble when you can get temporary internet for free.

9. iWeekend macrumors regular

The CRTC recently (August?) changed the "rules" to allow us to have 2 year cell contracts, instead of the "old" Canadian standard of 3 years. The cell companies reacted in predicatable ways.

The big players HAVE plans, they just are now monthly contracts (as far as I can see anyways). I assume the OP is looking for a prepaid ipad plan.

virgin mobile might be an option for prepaid but I can't confirm that.