Traveling to Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Reaktor5, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Hey everyone,
    I hope someone can clear up an issue I have. So next month I'm traveling to Canada. How does my phone plan with AT&T work? Do I get charged a ton for making a call back to the US? Does surfing on the web cost more? How does all that work?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Data costs a hell of a lot more, and you get roaming charges for calling + data and long distance charges. You can turn data roaming off on the iPhone in the settings. Just get a PAYG sim from rogers

3. Reaktor5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Would that be worth it if I'll be there for just the weekend?

4. Acronym macrumors 68000

i would suggest just not using your iphone up here and use a landline charges are a waste of money just for calling and data and if its only for a weekend i wouldnt bother with a paygo sim card unless you plan on making repeated visits

5. lrdiaz macrumors member

You can purchase one of two International Data pkgs. for the iPhone, check it out at AT&T website

6. pisces03x macrumors regular

If you can, use a landline. The iPhone was not made for roaming... especially in Canada, where it originally costed $60 for 400MB of data. :p

But, yeah.. if the sole purpose of bringing your iPhone is for the internet, just use a laptop at a wifi hotspot.

7. goldengate99 macrumors newbie

Canada

I have taken my AT&T iPhone to Canada (Toronto) a few times and a PAYG sim card from Rogers ain't an option as AT&T phones are locked and won't recognize the Rogers SIM.

Definitely turn off data roaming: Settings, General, Network, Data Roaming OFF.

AT&T's Intl plans aren't worth it. They cost $5.99 a month and your per minute voice rate is $1.69, down from $1.99.

If you do bring it, use it for text messaging only.

8. TheBigLebowski macrumors newbie

This is AT&T's International page. That should give the answers you need. And the only thing that is covered the same as if you're in the states are received text messages. Sent text messages, data, and any minutes you use are all subject to international roaming charges in Canada. So, turning off data roaming might be your best option.

9. lrdiaz macrumors member

Reaktor,
    Enjoy your iPhone while you are in Canada by purchasing one of the following international data pkgs.

* $24.99/month: 20MB Data Global Add-On gives you 20MB of usage within over 65 countries
    * $59.99/month: 50MB Data Global Add-On gives you 50MB of usage within over 65 countries
    * $119.99/month: 100 MB Data Global Add-On1 gives you 100MB of usage within over 65 countries
    * $199.99/month: 200 MB Data Global Add-On1 gives you 200MB of usage within over 65 countries

The best part is that you can discontinue it a couple of weeks after you get back.
    I have purchased the 20MB add-on for one week travel to Toronto in the past, just to receive Exchange emails.