Traveling to Europe and Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MrPrimeMinister, May 30, 2010.

1. MrPrimeMinister macrumors newbie

So I live in the US and have an AT&T 3G iPhone, non-jailbroken. In two weeks I'll be leaving for Greece until August and I wanted to know step-by-step how to get a jailbroken iPhone to work over there. I see a bunch of guides mention that one of the perks of jailbreaking is that you can use it abroad, but I can't find specifics. So basically my questions are:

1) What utility should I use to jailbreak?

2) Once I'm over there do I need a new SIM and how do I get one?

3) Will I have to undo data roaming, etc?

If all this has been asked to death, sorry. Feel free to just link me to another guide. Thanks

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

What you are talking about is unlocking your phone, but you must jailbreak first.

Since you have a 3G, you may be able to unlock.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=857521&highlight=

If you updated to 3.1.3, use Redsn0w to jailbreak, then try Fuzzyband (only works on very old 3G phones- about 10%)

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Let us know what firmware version you're running.
    If you already updated to 3.1.3 you will not be able to unlock. Very slim chances if you're on 3.1.3 and JB and use fuzzyband to see if its possible to downgrade your baseband.

4. Sara213 macrumors newbie

Sara213

It doesn't bother me if you ask this...but if you are like me and your not sure about how to go about to jailbreak it. I followed this guide and I was able to do it on my own. :)

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-3.1.2-firmware-with-blackra1n-zni327/

although it does depend on the firmware of your iphone as well..I did it when it was still in 3.1.2...I didn't upgrade it or else i would lose the unlock. :(

anyhow..I'm in italy right now and I simply went to a mobile phone shop, in my case I'm using WIND. There is Vadofone, and Tim and there is another one i'm sure but I can't remember the name. Italy may be different then greece. Just ask them that you want a sim card and they will give you one...i paid for my wind sim card...15 euro. They you can top up as you go. (pay as you go feature).

I went to get a sim in the UK at Vadofone but they needed bank info and a address of your place of residence. I could not give them because I unfortunately don't carry my billing statements around with me. :(

They do have iphone sim cards...but you may be asked to have a billing statement and a address of the place you are staying and two(or one) pieces of ID.