traveling to europe...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrunchyPickle, Jun 6, 2008.

1. CrunchyPickle macrumors newbie

What do I need to do to get my iphone to work? Will I need to unlock it? Can I buy a temp sim card over there? I imagine these options are way cheaper than any AT&T offer correct?

2. rayward macrumors 68000

You should be able to buy a pre-paid SIM that will give you a local number. That's good for local calls, but that means calling back to the U.S. is bad. Still better than AT&T plans, I'd imagine, and you don't have to worry about getting slammed with insane data roaming charges.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Come the 9th, you might have a few more options, Fring/Skype etc wise

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Um... probably not. Even if the app store goes live (which I don't think that it will), that doesn't mean that every app under the sun will be instantly available. I haven't heard lately of any progress being made from any VoIP provider for the iPhone.

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You can use a prepaid sim if you unlock the phone.

6. CrunchyPickle thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. Now I just hope the unlocking of the 3g version comes soon. I'm upgrading and was hoping to use the iphone as my computer while over there.

Now since I've never bought a pre-paid sim before. How does that work in Europe? If I buy it in London will it work in France? Or will one bought in France work in Italy? Or will I need to buy a new one for each location?

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

If this is a vacation, forget the phone and enjoy yourself!
    If this is a business trip, just buy a cheap phone once you get there and expense it!