Traveling to France - Data Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anton-, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Anton- macrumors newbie

I'll be getting a full price, unlocked (T-Mobile if there is no sim-free model) iPhone 6 on launch day, and will be traveling to France shortly after. What is the cheapest way to get a data only sim card to use for a little over a week while I am there? I'm on an AT&T mobile share plan in the US with a few other family members, and I'm sure they'd love to charge me tons for using AT&T while I'm there, assuming there is even roaming service.

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

3. Anton- thread starter macrumors newbie

How much do their plans run, and does it support LTE?
    Thanks =)

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My apologies, it was an attempt at humour...
    In answer to your original question, I have no idea :-(

5. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Use Tmobile. Free unlimited Intl data. Calls for 20c. NOT LTE though.
    If you are on ATT, use any local sim if the phone is unlocked. Simple and easy. You will get local data speeds.

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

If it's unlocked, no joke buy local sim and use iMessage snd FaceTime to call back home. I did the AT&T international data plan and it cost me a fortune. I shoulda paid to get it unlocked before I left.

It's cool to be able to keep in contact with family and friends while away. Getting my phone unlock was totslly worth it. Currently in cambodia paying $10 for 1.5gb. Will be in the Philippines for three weeks and I plan to
    Buy the unlimited plan which is unlimited data for 7 days for $7. I'll be there for 2-3 weeks. I might get data for both my iPhone and ipad too.

7. Anton- thread starter macrumors newbie

What carrier is that for?

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Smart in Cambodia, united laos, forgot about Vietnam carrier i used. They were bith around $5-10 depending on country.

9. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I'm not speaking about France but I'm sure it will be cheaper than using at&t international.

10. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

When you land in France, as others have said, I would look into a pre-paid SIM card. Preferably look for a place in the airport before you go to pick up your bags. Your other option is just to pick up wifi hotspots and use iMessage and FaceTime to communicate with friends and family then.