Traveling to New Zealand - Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NewtypeCJ, Apr 2, 2012.

1. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

I have an old iPhone 4 that I kept after I bought the 4S (both AT&T). I'm traveling to New Zealand this week - is it possible to just buy a prepaid SIM card for my iPhone 4 and use it there?

Any travelers or locals have any tips for that?

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, because you cannot unlock your iPhone to use a different carrier's SIM card. You either need to purchase an unlocked iPhone, an unlocked non-iPhone, or use international roaming with AT&T.

3. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Depends on your IP4 IOS and BB

If your IP4 still has the 1.59.0 BB, jailbreak and install ultrasn0w.

If your IP4 has a BB higher than 1.59.0 but below 4.11.01 you can use a Gevey Sim interposer and unlock that way.

4. NewtypeCJ thread starter macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

OK, since AT&T has started unlocking iPhone 4s that are off-contract, I've got an unlocked device now.

It seems like Vodafone and Telecom require proof of NZ citizenship to create an account even for a prepaid microsim. I'm gonna be there for business—what's the best way to go about this? They have stores right in the airport, surely they're trying to sell services to people who aren't NZ residents, right? Do I just use a hotel address?

5. OwenMeasures macrumors 6502

OwenMeasures

Where abouts in NZ are you going, im going there in 2 weeks for 9 months :)

6. NewtypeCJ thread starter macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

This time I'm up in the North island in Auckland and Wellington. Really beautiful country; hoping I can use my iPhone there. :D

7. OwenMeasures macrumors 6502

OwenMeasures

I'm staying Papakura, Auckland. My first time at NZ

8. certsoft macrumors member

certsoft

You should be able to pick up a prepaid SIM card either at the airport (if any of the shops are open that early) or at other shops. Many years ago I bought ahead of time from:

Telestial

so that I could tell people what my phone number would be before I left.

Note that on their Vodafone page they say under Service Life "at least once every 3 months", this is wrong, you just need to top up once per year to keep your SIM active. I've had the same NZ number since 2006.

9. minik macrumors 65816

I'm planning to visit NZ in between Oct and Nov as well. Apple NZ lists Telecom and Vodafone on the iPhone page. Will either one support mobile hotspot from the iPhone/iPad?

10. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

11. minik macrumors 65816

How's the coverage of these carriers? I plan to do both North and South islands.