Traveling to Paris tips/advice/suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tyler23, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Tyler23, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Long story short, my dad works for the airlines and I can fly over there for free and stay in his hotel.

Anyways, I'm an American college student on winter break, and don't have much else to do. I've been around Europe, but it was when I was little and chaperoned by both my parents. But yeah, I have been to about 17 different countries, including 4 in Asia. This time, though, I'd be mostly on my own while my dad is in meetings.

So..have any other Americans around my age been to /Paris? I'm kind of scared about the prospect of walking around on my own, and would definitely be too scared to take my MBP with me..

So..advice? Thanks :D

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

You should be fine.

I've been to Paris and the language barrier was the only thing I had trouble with. Luckily, most people speak English, but complications happen. Other than that, don't lose your passport.

3. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

I do speak basic French, but that's really only a semester's worth of university level French. Also, yeah..we're pretty seasoned international travelers, definitely will be keeping track of my passport. :D

4. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Man, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Tons of people would kill to be in your situation.

Unless you are planning on looking like a tourist and headed to some seedy areas, I wouldn't sweat the MBP.

Go for it, have a good time. ;)

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Pack light and go. Never turn down an adventure! To run around Paris on my own would be a dream come true. Post pictures when you get back.

6. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I just had 2 co workers from my university go to Paris for Christmas...

It was fun for them..

Be careful going to the metro or subway... They got 3 tickets/fines for not having boarding passes...:rolleyes:

7. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

If you have to post on an internet forum asking whether or not you should do something, it's a pretty safe bet you should not.

8. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well, I'm pretty sure I am, but I'm mainly wanting to get people's opinions, especially those that have been there recently.

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Have you seen the weather system in the southeast? Tomorrow may not be the best day for non revving.

10. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yeah we've been checking it out. Been monitoring the flights and will continue to do so throughout today. I'll probably end up listing this afternoon. Fingers are crossed.

11. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Don't bank on only speaking English though, you will end up offending a lot of people if you insist on doing so, the fact your an American won't help things :p

Just go as Paris is great but don't look like a tourist as you will get targeted for theft or worse if you go outside tourist areads

12. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

I already dress a bit like a Frenchman (well..I don't wear name brand hoodies, flip flops, etc. :p), and I have some knowledge of French, enough to greet, order, etc. I will at least attempt to speak as much French if I can, and only switch to English if I must.

13. martin1000 macrumors regular

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If you are flying out of MD, let's go! I hear the nightlife in Amsterdam is smashing!

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Just pick-up a Canadian flag pin in your travels. ;)

16. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I so wish I could be in your shoes and go ;)

I've always been with family members and would love to be in Paris on my own for even a few days. I just hope you don't end up getting stranded like many travelers last month.

I've got an Icelandic and Deutschland patches on my travel backpack.

17. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

In Paris, it's polite to start a conversation in French. When the locals hear how bad you're mangling it, they'll usually switch to English. Most Parisians at least appreciate your making the effort. If you've had a semester's worth of French, you're way ahead of most tourists.

In Amsterdam, OTOH, pretty much everyone speaks English and is more pragmatic about using it.

18. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

So true. :) I would not post it here and pack my stuff right away. The only problem is I do not speak a word French. :p

19. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well I live near Baltimore (for school), parents live in Germantown, but I am flying out of DC.

I could always use a traveling companion :cool:

20. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

21. Tyler23, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Turns out I'm just going to be going straight to Paris, so I'm not beginning my journey until tomorrow morning.

Is being an American in Paris really that bad? Should I claim to be Canadian? I don't wear anything blatantly "American," I tend to dress a little more..classy. I'm also pretty polite, not loud, (..not fat (not meaning to be offensive in any way, simply stating a fact)), etc..

And just out of curiosity. I won't be bringing a backpack as I've heard that really makes you stand out as American, and I think I can borrow a messenger bag. Will that be alright? I'm too scared to bring my MBP. I'd really like to, but it just doesn't seem to be worth the risks.

One more thing..I'm a photographer, and plan on bringing my DSLR with my case (shoulder strap, swings around back). Should that be alright as well?

Thanks everyone. Wish we could all go and have a hell of a Mac trip!

22. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I was there last year, and had no problems at all. Everyone was very friendly. Have fun!

23. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

From what you have said, I'd say you will be fine. Just don't start complaining about prices, food and anything else.

Should be fine just don't go to the suburbs as there is a higher chance of being mugged or worse :(

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

No and no.

post pictures when you come back.

25. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

I will definitely post pictures!

Still worried I might not make it. I have to connect through Cincinnati tomorrow afternoon, and they have a winter storm warning for that time. C'mon Cinci, don't let me down!