Traveling to Spain/Austria

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zenteeric, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Zenteeric macrumors member

Jun 20, 2010

So in 3+ weeks I will be leaving to do an archaeological field study over in Spain and then visit a friend in Austria. I will be there for about a month.

I was looking at at&t's international rates and they are rather expensive to call people over there. I am excited that I get to use my iphone 4 while overseas but is there a better way to be able to text/call my family over here in the us?

Maybe there is a way to do a prepay on a carrier over in spain?

Just thinking out loud,

Att rates

We offer the standard international roaming with no monthly recurring charge and a per minute rate of $1.29. We also offer AT&T World Traveler for $5.99 per month reducing your rate to $0.99 per minute.

Outgoing text messages are $0.50 each and picture messages are $1.30 each. Incoming messages are deducted from your domestic text plan if any, otherwise they are billed at $0.20 per text and $0.30 per picture.

We Offer Global Messaging with 50 text messages to send while roaming outside the U.S. for $10 per month and has an overage rate of $0.40 per message after that.

The standard rate for data is $0.02 per kilobyte, approximately $20 per megabyte. However we offer four international data packages: $24.99/month: 20 MB, : $59.99 /month: 50 MB, : $119.99/month: 100 MB and : $199.99/month: 200 MB. These international data packages have an overage rate of $0.005/KB (about $5/MB) within the more than 100 discounted countries.
  2. elmo151 Guest

Jul 3, 2007
    check out boingo and Skype. both are useful in minimizing overseas charges
  3. Insilin1i macrumors regular

Dec 30, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    I went to Portugal for a month and used the Vodafone Vitamina iPhone 91 SMS, comes with 500 MBs. Its pay as you go.
  4. Zenteeric thread starter macrumors member

Jun 20, 2010
    Where would I find one of those? lol