Traveling to U.S., looking for prepaid data plan (not AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 251, Feb 16, 2011.

1. 251 macrumors newbie

I'm coming back to the U.S. for a month or so and would like to get a pre-paid data plan for my iPad. However, AT&T screwed me when we moved to Australia, so I'm not interested in anything from them. I'm looking for something like 30 days/<1GB.

I haven't paid much attention to U.S. mobile phone companies or plans, so I'm not too familiar with what plans work with the iPad over there and who uses micro-SIMs. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

AT&T is going to be the only option here for your iPad. T-Mobile is the only other GSM provider, and their 3G service is on a different frequency than what the iPad can utilize. You'd be limited to Edge speeds.

Also, I don't know of any "pre-paid" data plans available from AT&T.

3. 251 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.

Wow, that sounds awful-- we have four or five carrier options here. It looks like I'll be sticking to WiFi.

4. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

look at getting a wifi puck from "Clear" www.clear.com they have a cheap plan you can get then connect to wifi for when your away form a regular hotspot

5. VTMac macrumors 6502

Or virgin mobile. They piggy back on the sprint network. www.virginmobileusa.com

At walmart you can get 1GB of data for $20. But you must buy both the mifi and the data at walmart. You could probably use it for 30 days and then return it before you leave. Double check their return policy.