Traveling wih an iMac 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by newmacnooby, Sep 7, 2010.

1. newmacnooby macrumors regular

how safe is it to travel with an imac on a plane? im moving and and i need to take my imac with me on an airplane, but im afraid of the handling, is it safe?

i would be using the oringal box and all.

2. foodle macrumors 6502

Baggage handlers can be pretty rough. Why not just send it FedEx/UPS/USPS?

3. symbology macrumors regular

I agree, ship it.

4. jackOH macrumors newbie

There's no way I'd fly with it. It's too big to bring on the plane, so you're going to have to check it. Baggage handlers will be tossing that thing around like crazy.

Take it to a professional shipping store like the UPS store where they will pack it securely with foam, etc.

5. Arcadie macrumors regular

step up your game and fly private :)

Do you still have the original packaging? Fedex/ups will treat wit much worst than a baggage handler... Go buy a largesuitcase (cheap one) place you imac in its origional packageing and pad it with something.

If you dont have a box, putting it into a largfe suitcase PACKED tight with clothes will protect it (its how i flew with mine)

It will cost you some $$, but wont be any more than fedex + insurance. plus fedex/ups insurance is a scam, i got screwed by them before (google for horror stories)

6. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

thanks a lot guys

Sneding it via UPS and so is definitely an opcion and was concideing it, but i called the airline and they told my that electronics were handled appart from normal bags she said "kind of like the dogs" not really shure if that conforts me but beacuse i still have the original package im going to risk it an fly it on the airplane, its just a 1hr fly so bes of luck to me :) and im flying really early, insanely early for that matter so i hope there not a lot of people and they will let me bring it on the airplane, having it sitting next to me would be great confort.

thanks a lot guys:D

7. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

probably not! You could have anything inside a computer box! They wont let it on the plane with you.

Also it will be too big for H&S reason for evacuation in emergency and stoage during Takeoff and Landing.

x

8. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

You are probably right, but i wont loose a thing for askig.

Lets see what happens.