Traveling with digital camera: Best option for used Mac laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacGromit, Jun 13, 2008.

1. MacGromit macrumors newbie

I'm planning on traveling with my Canon XTi and a mess of CF cards. I'd like to take photos, download them to an inexpensive Mac laptop and be able to view them and even possibly view them on a say a hotel TV each evening.

Also, I'd like to be able to connect to the Internet in a free WiFi spot and maybe post a few photos up for friends to follow us around.

I'd like to maybe buy an old 12" iBook or something for the job. Seems to be that it ought to run at least Panther.

I don't need a huge screen (just something bigger than my tiny screen on the camera) and space/weight is a factor as I'd hate the idea of taking my camera set up and then some 17" monster.

Any ideas or anyone doing this now? The iBooks seem a good idea since they're pretty tough (tougher than my old TiBook).

2. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

iBooks can run more than Panther, I have heard of people running Tiger without a problems and even Leopard.

If all you want to do is load pictures and check email then yes, the iBook is a good computer. Extremely realiable and good performance. If you want something with a little more power so you can organize, edit and adjust photos, I would suggest an Intel-based Macbook.

I currently run a Core Duo Macbook Pro and I am able to run Final Cut Studio, Aperture, Adobe CS3 and any other good editing software without a problem. My wife uses a Core 2 Duo Macbook and hers is good for photo editing and organization but when it comes to video editing, you can't beat the Macbook Pro just because of the video card. You can pick up Macbooks and iBooks for decent prices on eBay, especially if you buy them broken and fix them yourself.

Good luck!

3. MacGromit thread starter macrumors newbie

For photo editing, etc I'm planning to use my home computers. But I'm basically talking about being on the road and just wanting the luxury have having the pics saved and heck, the great ones maybe burned to disk or uploaded to a backup online. Traveling with a digital camera and a lens or two and also packing a laptop is pretty excessive but in the more civilized and safe places, I'd be nice to grab a slow breakfast with the family and check to see if my Orioles are above 0.500.

:)

I'm leaning towards a iBook. What's the last iBook model before Apple switched to the MacBook design? I'm guess I might be able to pick one of those up for just a few hundred if I could find someone selling while they're upgrading.

4. MacGromit thread starter macrumors newbie

I suppose I could start a new thread to this effect but what's the best used Mac laptop website that I might be able to go to. eBay is fine but there used to be (long ago) used Mac sites like I seem to remember one on Powers Ferry Road in Atlanta that served as a kind of broker in the deal. The seller sent it to the Mac place in Atlanta, they checked it out took the payment from the buyer and the shipped it out safely.

The seller was then sent payment minus the broker fee.

Anything like this still around? I don't even recall the place in Atlanta. I think I bought a PB 150c a million years ago from them this way.

Ah, mini-SCSI ports. :)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No we want eSAS ;)

6. jcoop macrumors member

I took a 12" iBook G4/1.33 to Thailand recently (wasn't going to risk my MacBook Pro) for just this purpose: getting my pictures onto a hard drive while I was traveling, being able to look at them, and do a little bit of light editing (and I mean light, like cropping and removal of a bit of red-eye). It worked reasonably well for that purpose. With only 512 MB of RAM, iPhoto was very slow, but GraphicConverter worked well.

The iBook is still a neat little computer.

7. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

check the marketplace here. They pop up every now and then. I just sold one, and have another to sell eventually...

8. jhawk2 macrumors member

jhawk2

Check this site out. www.wegenermedia.com
    I am also looking for an ibook G4 but I am in no rush so I think I will wait and keep looking on craigslist for an insane deal. (Lol well somewhat)
    Hope you find a nice one!^_^

9. krye macrumors 68000

krye

10. MacGromit thread starter macrumors newbie

The iPod idea is a decent one but I'd like my email and to be able to journal, etc while I take photos on our trip.

I've visited the Weagner folks in Columbia, SC when I had a hinge break on a TiBook. Nice folks. I had forgotten about them.

I wish I could remember that Atlanta group that brokered Powerbook deals a million years ago. I wonder if they're still around.

I'll also look at the marketplace here. If anyone's looking to unload a 12" laptop... I'm all ears. :)