Traveling with iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Anglican-Mac, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Anglican-Mac macrumors member

So, I'm taking about three weeks at the end of the year, beginning of next year. Flying everywhere. I would like people's opinions about going that long without being able to sync my iPad with my laptop, which I would like to leave behind. I wont have any major projects to work on over the three weeks, just some web surfing and maybe a movie or some books. If I need to type anything, I've got Pages.

Now, as far as taking the iPad through a TSA checkpoint, does it differ at all from taking a laptop through? Must an iPad be turned off during take-off and landing?

I'm really interested in traveling light, so any thoughts on this idea would be appreciated. Any concerns, especially based on experiences would be helpful.

Thanks!

Anglican-Mac

2. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Sounds like a light job for the iPad so you should be in good shape. You can always update podcasts / etc. via iTunes on the iPad.

Technically you do not need to take the iPad out of your bag. However, I find that if you have a bunch of other cables, etc. in your bag it's just easier to take it out ahead of time vs. deal with the hassle of them wanting to look at it.
    A far as takeoff/landing -- yes, all electronics need to be turned off during the "critical phases of flight". They don't like when you break this rule.

This is about as light as you can get. Mine has been with me for about 3-4 months through 4 different countries and I have not had a problem. Don't forget your charger.

Good luck.

3. mds macrumors 6502

I recently finished a 3 month world tour where I circumnavigated the globe (I'm a musician). The iPad was my only computer and I never sync'd to anything while I was gone.

In general, it was great. Great for watching TV/Movies, playing games, reading, and light surfing. It was also great as a day travel mate with maps, etc. It is not particularly good for typing a lot of text. I got annoyed IMing and emailing on it. For this I'd recommend a keyboard.

I felt the need to jailbreak it so I could use the camera kit to have more storage. I have a 16gig iPad and being able to bring another 32 gigs via SD cards was essential for such a long trip. I was also able to download content via itunes and other sources, which is nice.

I also struggled with WIFI. Hopefully the new OS will fix that.

Overall I was pretty happy with it, though I've considered selling it an getting an Air for the next tour. I'm hesitant, though, because I'd miss how easy it is to carry around and use in tight quarters (I sleep on a bunk on a bus most nights). I think the ipad would be way better for reading and watching TV/movies....and of course Angry Birds, haha...

Mike

4. spiralynth macrumors regular

You should be fine.

Make sure you download TeamViewer (free and fabulous), or LogMeIn ($30) or some other RDP or VNC of your choice.

5. Built macrumors 68020

Mooney is correct.

Technically, the iPad does not have to be taken out of the bag, but if you have a ton of other stuff in there, like cables, they may want to see it.

I solve that problem by taking it out, but I keep it enclosed in a velveteen drawstring bag that then slips into my case...This soft bag is unobtrusive and lightweight, yet it protects my iPad when it is in one of those bins. I bought several of them.

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280498467756&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anything with an ON/OFF switch must be turned off for take-off and landing.

6. b.c. macrumors 6502

I've travelled several times with iPad-only in the past half year, each time for 1-2 weeks per trip. Your 3wk trip without syncing your iPad is no worry at all.

I've not had any problem leaving the iPad in my bag through airport security (just a small shoulder bag without much else in it). the TSA says it's fine to leave it in the bag. but notice they also mention keeping down the clutter. if your iPad is in your bag full of other wires and electronic stuff, they might want to take a much closer look

if you travel a lot, I'll offer another totally unrelated but IMO useful piece of advice:

get yourself an Airport Express or other pocket sized wifi router. I still find hotels that don't have in-room wifi, but most these days do have free wired ethernet jacks, which of course is useless with your iPad. With an Airport Express you'll be sure to have internet connectivity in your hotel room. I carry mine whenever I travel.

another tip: if you don't already use Dropbox, sign up for a free account and put any documents you think you might need on your trip in your dropbox on your home/work computer. that way you'll have access to them on your iPad wherever you go, without having to think about specifically syncing those files to your iPad local storage beforehand.

have a great trip!

7. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Travelling with Ipad

I have done some traveling with my ipad. The first trip I took both my ipad and my MBP15". And then I didn't open the MBP15" at all. My next trip I left the MBP at home. I didn't miss it. I could get email, both business and personal, and do anything I needed to on my ipad. Both trips were six days.
    The only time I bring my MBP on a trip now, is when I am going to have to use CS5, for work.
    Otherwise it stays home.

8. Built macrumors 68020

Wow...I didn't know there were any major hotels anymore with no Wifi network. All the ones at which I stay have Wifi...I haven't seen a wired ethernet connection in a couple of years. IIRC, the last one I saw was at a Crowne Plaza in NYC....and that was at least two years ago...and they have a wireless network, as well.

What galls me, however, is the hotels, usually relatively upscale, who see Wifi as a "profit center," and charge for use.

9. samerik macrumors newbie

I only travel with my iPad, keyboard and use the Compass mobile stand. I normally show the mobile stand in advance, since the shape of the folded stand
    gets the security attention.

10. stix macrumors member

Going through airport security I tried leaving the iPad in my rucksack once, since technically it's not a laptop (Steve said so ;)). Unfortunately the security guys did not agree and I ended up having my entire bag searched. Twice.

Take it out in advance and send it through separately... save yourself a lot of hassle :)

11. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

12. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

I was just at a Disney World resort in Orlando and they only had wired. It was quite annoying. Good thing I had a 3G iPad.

13. n0de macrumors 6502

If you stay in the US, wifi is not a problem, as soon as you leave the border though it dries up.

14. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

should be fine... maybe you could add to your backpack an airport express that may be useful if one on the hotels doesn't offer wifi but only wired connection

15. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

No doubt. The more stars, the more likely they are to charge for internet access. Just saw a place in Italy that was charging 10 euro per hour. Right. This is one reason alone I never stay at Hiltons anymore just on principle. Marriots represent the sweet spot in quality and value IMHO.

Bringing an airport express is a GREAT tip, especially in relation to the OP and traveling solely with an iPad. If you travel a lot you WILL encounter hotels that only have wired internet in rooms, wifi available in public areas like the lobby only.

I've flown almost 200K miles since release of the iPad. Contrary to some of the other posts, I've NEVER been asked to take the iPad out of my bag and I have tons of cords, camera gear, etc.

And as far as switching it off? Just put it in airplane mode. What's the difference if it's on or off? My laptops are always in sleep mode. Is that off?

16. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

ANd in regard to my last comment, I mean put it in airplane mode and then standby. I don't really see how having it in standby is any different than a laptop in sleep mode.

17. Built macrumors 68020

Ouch. 10 Euros per hour? WOW.

I've been lucky in that I've been able to limit my business trips to a couple of destinations...several times a month...as opposed to the days when I went all over creation, including Internationally. I guess I've been living in a blissful bubble because the pllaces where I spend several nights each month all offer free wifi.

My sporadic trips elsewhere, especially to high-end hotels, tend to be pretty disappointing, though, when it comes to internet access...$$$$$$

On the take-off and landing thing, it is hard to watch seemingly adult people wait for the flight attendant's back to be turned so that they could get off that one last text.

As a coworker of mine once told a guy who wouldn't turn off his phone...hid it when the flight attendant came by...As he was furiously texting, my coworker turned to him and said, "Why don't you tell Obama that you'll get back to him when we land? OK????"

18. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

I've used the ipad on 2 extended trips so far, and also for a 3 week job away from home. 3 or 4 weeks each time. No problems whatsoever. I use this thing every day and even when I'm home I only sync every 2 or 3 weeks.

Enjoy your trip.

19. b.c. macrumors 6502

I still come across some that don't traveling in Canada, US and Japan, including trips this year. or sometimes the WiFi is only in public areas and not in the rooms. maybe I just stay at cheaper places than you :)

point is, there seems to still be some chance to encounter wired-only in hotels, at least in my experience. in those cases you're SOL with iPad-only (or even iPod touch, or iPhone and expen$$$ive international data roaming plan). my AP Express has come in handy many times. it's small and light, and automatically goes in my travel bag anytime I leave home.

of course if you know in advance where you're staying, you can check ahead to see if they have wifi in the rooms.

20. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Agree - the place I stay in Japan is like this. Also, some places that I stay only allow one wireless connection per user/room for the fee.

21. ric808 macrumors newbie

At Newark Airport, you are required to take the iPad out of your bag. At LaGuardia, Knoxville and Kansas City, you are not.

22. gnychis macrumors 6502

some airports definitely treat "readers" differently, like the ipad and kindle

23. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

I just shiver when I read this stuff. sorry for that. Italian laws & infrastructure are so inadequate when referring to technology ( well, Italians laws sucks in many other areas, thank you Berlusconi!:mad:)