Traveling with Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sean00, Mar 30, 2010.

1. sean00 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,
    I need some help from the American's in this forum, Basically i am coming to American in June from Australia. I really want to bring my iPhone with me as it will be a great tool to help me in my travels, but i will need to get a pre paid sim card because its far to expensive to use roaming with my Australian carrier.... So what i need is some options on what people thing i should do?
    Thanks
    Sean

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Your iPhone is unlocked right?

From my experience here are the two best options:

- if you just want to call and text for cheap you should get a T-Mobile SIM card with the sidekick plan. It costs $1 a day and you have unlimited texting. Calls cost 15 cents per minute. Tmobile doesn't allow data on prepaid plans.

- if you want data too you should get an AT&T SIM with Pay as You Go. Then you can add a data package that's $20 for 100MB. It's expensive but the US doesn't have great options for prepaid plans.

EDIT: Also to get data to work on AT&T prepaid you will need to do a custom profile for it to work. I'll add to this post when I can find all that information.

EDIT2: Found it. If you choose to get AT&T to get data to work you need to go to this website on your iPhone www.unlockit.co.nz and create a custom profile with this information:

[​IMG]

After you click "create custom profile" it will take you to Settings on your iPhone and you just have to click "install". And that's it.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

avoid roaming charges, specially the data. Use only wi-fi + skype to call back home. Get an AT&T sim.

4. sean00 thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW great thanks so much for all the info... yeah my phone is unlocked! the data is quiet expensive but i guess im only there for a month so shouldnt be to bad...

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

No problem. :) I had so much trouble finding all this information when i went to the U.S. that I try to help anyone that I can.

BTW, when are you going?

6. sean00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im going on the 10th of June Till the 13 of July cant wait! going to LA, San Fran, Vegas, Miami, New York and Washington DC!! :D:D:D

any recommendations?

7. RoadMax macrumors newbie

Re

Can you use Wi-Fi in iphone if there is no internet plan provider and if the iphone is factory unlocked?

8. sean00 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah of course! you can use it wifi in airport mode