Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

durant0s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Can anyone tell me if it is bad to travel from work to my house or visa versa with my MBP asleep in my bag. I have a Tom Bihn horizontal brain cell slide and a bag that goes with it. Right now I turn it off whenever I take the trip that takes like 20-30 minutes. But I'm usually opening it up and turning right back on when I get home so would it be that big of a heat issue if it was in the slide for like 30 minutes tops?

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Can anyone tell me if it is bad to travel from work to my house or visa versa with my MBP asleep in my bag. I have a Tom Bihn horizontal brain cell slide and a bag that goes with it. Right now I turn it off whenever I take the trip that takes like 20-30 minutes. But I'm usually opening it up and turning right back on when I get home so would it be that big of a heat issue if it was in the slide for like 30 minutes tops?

i do that all the time, it should not be a problem at all. only thing to be wary of is to wait until the machine is really asleep, the light must be pulsing and you should not hear the HD spinning.

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
Like the other poster said, make sure the MBP is really asleep (light pulsating) before you put it in the bag.

Once it's asleep, it generates basically no heat. You can leave it in there until the battery runs out, at which point it will automatically turn itself off (and when you turn it back on, it will wake from the safe sleep image).

My experience is that the battery will typically run out after 2-3 days.

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
I do it constantly for even longer times than that - I'm talking days - and it's been fine. MBPs are cool like that :p

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Like the above posters said, make absolutely sure it is asleep. When I first joined this forum, one of the first threads I saw was a guy who basically melted his MBP because he had left it in his bag all day in full operation when he thought it was asleep,

Just a word to the wise...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.