Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
This is true with all passbook QR and Bar codes. You use the crown or just flick the screen up.

It also sets the screen to the brightest level to help with it being read.

Well, this is actually not true.

Just tried to board another flight.

The Fly Delta app wouldn't load. I had saved my boarding pass to Passbook. Opened it there. Scrolled to the QR code. Display shut off.

Raise wrist to turn on display. Set to open clock face. Went back to passbook. Fumbled around with people grumbling.

Pulled out my paper boarding pass.

Fail.

Glene

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Ft Lauderdale
Yeah, I'm sitting at Boston Logan right now at the gate on the plane, usair scanner could not focus on the watch, used paper pass.....fail

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Quick update. I'm in the skyclub in MSP. I've already told you too much and am expecting the drone-delivered tomahawks to start raining down any moment.

Anyway, I've been testing the fidelity of the reader / QR code on the boarding passes. Just like the phone you have to be pretty darn close to the scanner.

The watch face needs to be really flat relative to the scanner, even 10 degrees off flat seems to block scanning. This isn't usually a big deal with a phone in your hand but can be a little harder with something on your wrist.

LIOC

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Well, this is actually not true.

Just tried to board another flight.

The Fly Delta app wouldn't load. I had saved my boarding pass to Passbook. Opened it there. Scrolled to the QR code. Display shut off.

Raise wrist to turn on display. Set to open clock face. Went back to passbook. Fumbled around with people grumbling.

Fail.

I just tried it with everything from dunkin donuts card, to jet blue tickets, to amusement park tickets. Everything with a QR filled the screen, the brightest level went up and the screen stayed on when moving my wrist.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015

You may want to try something different:

Once I go into Passbook and put the QR code on and it goes back to the Clock Face, all I have to do is:
Quick double click on the Crown and the QR code comes right back up.

That works for me for approx. 10 min. After 10 min. it goes back to the last used App, which is Passbook, I have to select the Pass and QR code again.
But again, for the first few minutes after I have the QR code up, the "Crown Double Click" works perfectly and might avoid the grumbling people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.