Travelling aboard ( few questions )

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BarryChuckle, Jul 10, 2011.

1. BarryChuckle macrumors member

Hey guys

I am travelling in the next few days and I have a few questions regarding looking after it :)

I have crazy OCD and I am worried about the airport scanners ruining my macbook pro hdd.

Can you put me to ease and say that I don't have to worry about this ? there is no chance of this happening right ? Also it's airlines allow you to take laptops on planes ? If not I will put in suite case.

Thanks guys

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

3. BarryChuckle thread starter macrumors member

Haha don't say that!!!!

4. nwbusa macrumors regular

5. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I carried a MBP, iPad, and 2 iPhones on my previous trip without any problem. You will be okay.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

i am a relatively frequent traveler (currently abroad at the moment). i recommend putting the mbp in a hard case, in a sleeve (g-form looks like the best), inside a backpack (or your carry on luggage). be ready to take it out when you go through the scanners, but they ought to let you leave it in that sleeve. with the sleeve and hardcase, you've got nothing to worry about.

i would never pack it in a suitcase. have you seen how the guys toss those things? also, tsa often "loses" items when they go through your stuff. usually not expensive things, and i suspect they are just misplacing books and the like, but annoying nonetheless, and no reason to take chances. there are reports of ipad thefts and the like. they are human, so i get it, but i am not keen on paying the govt. (taxes) to hire people to go through my stuff and steal it.

anyhow, a 13" ought to fit with its sleeve under the seat in front of you (take off and landing). that's great. it should be safe there. i doubt a 15" will, and you will have to put it in the overhead bins. the overhead bins are sites of much loss and destruction. people put water bottles up there to spill on things, they drop other people's stuff on the floor, and they shove things in there (crushing your stuff in the process). avoid that if you can, and keep an eye on it if you can't.

oh yeah, be careful when using it on your tray. people suddenly lean back and that can cause trouble if you have your lid wedged against the seat. usually it just rudely closes the lid halfway. i used to have many choice words for the #$%&! in front of me who dove backwards like that, but after a few years, you get tired of trying to educate everyone in the world about (un)common courtesy.

enjoy your trip!

7. gofightlose macrumors member

gofightlose

travelling aboard? like aboard a ship? sounds fun! haha.

My advice. Keep that baby close to your chest. Carry on in a case in a padded backpack and keep the backpack with you, no overhead compartments like ^that guy said. just keep an eye on it and it will be fine. :eek:

8. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Abroad? Don't worry about the scanner breaking your notebook.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

If they put your laptop through an MRI machine, you should worry.

Otherwise, enjoy your trip.

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

11. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Stand at ease, you and your baby will be fine.

12. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Airport scanners are no problem at all. My MacBook Pro has been through about 40 of them.