Travelling from USA to UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kinger61, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Kinger61 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be going to Las Vegas within the next month! Whilst there i plan to buy an iPhone 6s! My issue is I already have an iPhone 6 which I will be getting rid of when I return to the UK, but what would be the way it works through customs in UK, should I declare the iPhone 6s or what needs to be done to it for them to not know it was bought in the USA on that trip ? Should i discard the box it comes in or set it up or anything ? Don't really wanna pay the VAT applied as it would mean I save nothing on the iPhone !

Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance

2. Jayjew macrumors 6502

Jayjew

Las Vegas? Can I ask why?

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

So you're asking for advice on how to bypass customs illegally? I hope you're smarter than that when you implement your plan.

C

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ship the empty box back to yourself and put the phone in your pocket. Simple

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Will the US version work on UK 4G networks?
    I know that the Note 5 doesn't. It picks up 2G but not 3G or 4G, rendering it pretty useless...
    Best double-check.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

There is no "US" version. iPhone 6 is a world phone. The only model that's different is for China.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

That's ok then, I just thought it best to make doubly sure.

8. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

I always carry 2 phones when I travel abroad. One is locked to my carrier and other is unlocked for use abroad.I believe this may be commonplace. Carrying 2 phones through customs should not be an issue. Put the box in your luggage or ship it home. Do you expect your checked baggage to be opened and inspected?

9. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

This is what I would do.

10. vlinkz macrumors regular

I've carried two phones with me through airports. It's pretty common as people have two different SIMs and there's no law in the UK about declaring for your own personal property just as you won't declare your iPhone 6, laptop, etc when you enter the US.

11. Kinger61 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the replies !
    I know that the phone will work on 3G and 4G, already checked that out!
    Yea I just wasn't sure because there was a guy telling me the other night that if the box is in luggage or if the phone is still in the box then it can cause issues, suppose it makes sense to just put both in pocket and say one for UK and one for use abroad or a buisness phone or something ! Thanks everyone!

12. Kinger61 thread starter macrumors newbie

Going on holiday with friends!

13. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You can bring back up to $600 worth of purchases completely free of Duty into the UK anything above that is subject to Duty at 2.5 percent plus vat at 20 percent on the total value of the goods. Travelling with two phones is not that unusual
    situation. Those who recommend putting the box in your luggage or posting it back must think the UK customs are stupid.
    If you do not plan to declare the phone then i suggest you discard the box and all the associated bits of paperwork. Apple will email you a receipt do not travel with the store receipt.

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

A note five purchased in the US will work perfectly on both 3G and 4G networks in the UK.

15. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

If you don't have the receipt and any other papers associated with the new phone, you can put the original box in your luggage. And one more advice, don't verbalize, don't get into details when passing cusotms check why you have to phones etc. Just behave naturally without a word.

16. Jayjew macrumors 6502

Jayjew

Have fun!!! Don't go into any ally's! Lol

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Wrong I'm afraid.

18. Igglepiggle macrumors newbie

I've brought a AT&T a1633 model back to the UK several weeks ago. All working fine on the three network including 4G.
    All ways travel to the USA with spare capacity in my luggage as I know I will be bringing shopping goodies back with me. Never been stopped at customs and excise but I'm sure they are looking for bigger fish to fry then someone who's treated themselves to a new iPhone.