Travelling internationally, can I unlock my iPhone and then relock it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by philipcolett, Dec 4, 2007.

1. philipcolett macrumors member

I am going to Europe and I wanted to bring my iPhone along, rather than purchase another phone. AT&T's international plan is .99 a minute and that is just crazy. IF I unlock it, can I just buy a sim card there and pop it in? The minutes are much much less through local carriers there. THen, can I relock the phone so I can get all the updates and such through Apple?

2. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

i'm in the same boat. i want to know what to do. i'm abroad for 2 months which is a lot of money if i stay with AT&T. i have a vodafone sim from the UK. my iPhone was bought in september... i have no idea how to unlock and what to do i'm so scared i'm going to brick it.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

So, did you guys figure out if this was doable or not? I'm heading abroad in a little over a month, but hope to have an iPhone before then... wondering if it's worth bringing it along.

4. McGiord, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Yes you can if it isn't a OTB 1.1.2 iPhone.
    Check here for ways to do it:
    www.hackthatphone.com

As an alternative to the $.99/min romaing charges check on AT&T international plans that reduce the fee to $.59/min (not a big one but its around 40% that you'll save, if it's like the plan for Mexico I am using)

To return your iPhone to an unlocked state you'll just need to do a restore with iTunes (do a good backup before doing that).
    ________
    oxygen vaporizer