travelling overseas with iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soni2926, Feb 2, 2009.

1. soni2926 macrumors member

hi,
    I'm going to head overseas for a few weeks and plan to take my iphone. i know on the flight if i need to use it, play games, watch a movie, etc.. (no calls) i can enable airplane mode. but once i land, is there anyway for me to have the phone on, but stop the iphone from trying to connect to the local cellular network. i do not want to use the phone to make or receive calls once overseas, but would like to use it for wifi or ipod features. is there a setting i can enable or disable to do this? airplane mode i believe would stop cellular connection but also wifi, i might want wifi on once i've landed.

thanks.

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

turn off international data roaming, whatever you do :)

you can always remove your sim card, and just keep that wifi on.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

You can have Airplane Mode on, and then turn on the WiFi.

Just turn on Airplane mode, and then go to the WiFi setting, and turn it on.

4. carcassone macrumors newbie

I took out my sim card since I want to be absolutely sure that I won't be ding with oversea charge of any kind (accidentally roaming, SMS, etc). Worked like a charm. WiFi and everything else were still available. I can usually find free WiFi, especially in condensed area like offices or apartment buildings.

And the coolest thing? Taking a picture, emailing it back home half way around the world and having the recipient reply while I was still on the spot. I marveled at the amount of technology it takes to make that happened.

Bon vonyage!

5. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Jeebuz,

This same question comes up every 3-6 months.
    The SEARCH button is your friend.

6. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Just make sure you aren't using the cell network for calls or data/e-mail. A friend just got back from Ireland, used his phone knowing there would be *some* charges, and came back with a bill "big enough to buy a car." He wouldn't tell me how much...

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

It's easy to criticise people with this statement, which must itself get posted about 100 times a day between all the threads.

But before you slag off someone again this way, try this:

Go and type "travelling overseas with iphone " in search, and please tell me from the results you get whether you can answer his question. If not, what exactly should he have searched for? Once you've figured out a possible search term that might bring up a relevant answer, please then answer how a newcomer to the forums would figure that out, or whether they're just more sensible asking the question here that they want answered.

Friend it might be, but the search button is not a very reliable friend

8. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Why should I bother when the OP won't even do it for him/herself.
    By the way, it brought up three pages of matches and around a 40% of the threads would have answered the question.

9. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Because you know and he doesn't?

10. Martin Finch macrumors member

Like mentioned in the previous posts, unlocking is a possibility and then depending on where your going, just get on to the local networks if you need to make calls. You never know when you'll be needing that late night pizza delivered, though you can always use wi-fi for that. Hope this helps :)