Travelling question - MacBook pro 13 OR 16gb ipad OR both??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sachin10dulkar, Jun 26, 2010.

1. sachin10dulkar macrumors newbie

Hi

so my wife and I have been. Travelling around the world for the last 14 months. In July we take a few days and visit my brother in Boston, where I am doing some apple hardware shopping.

I have already ordered a base model 13 inch MBP. but am leanng towards getting a 16gb ipad too. We are travelling for another 6 months so I am now confused.

Should I take just he mbp and not buy the ipad until I get home (London) or should I buy and use just the ipad and get my brother to hold onto the mbp until I visit him later after the travels. Or should I take both?

Realistically I am leaning towards holding off on the ipad purchase until I return to London, but I am super taken by the prospect of travelling with the ipad...!

Some other things people should know... I love my photography so am a bt worried about using the ipad solely, particulrly re uploading to flickr. Also we are backpacking so I guess it would be a security burden carrying 2 gorgeuos apple products??

Maybe I have answered my own question, but I am
    sure there is more than at first sight...

Thoughts and suggestions please!!!

2. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

It all depends what you yourself feeling comfortable carrying and also what you intend to use each for.

I believe you have already made up your mind, but are looking for justification, so I will help. Just take the MBP so you can do your photos on the road. Since you will be travelling heaps you probably wont be around a lot of wireless internet all the time so you will not be able to download movies or audio or apps with the iPad as often as you might like.

And don't forget the travel insurance!

3. ronzoninj macrumors newbie

I have both and I'll tell you that the iPad is better. I'm assuming that all you need when you cross the hemispheres is the ability to find the best food, bars, etc. The MBP might be better as a computer but the iPad is the best at portability.

BTW... I subscribed to the the 3G service on the iPad and I have a two hour train ride (each way) twice a week. What that means is that I spend a whopping 8hrs a week on transportation. I get to answer tons of emails and set up a To Do list. That, coupled with the Google Earth App, makes you a god.

4. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Agreed. You'll want the MBP for photos, and for any heavier computing requirements you will have over the next six months.

Of course, you'll have to exercise some serious discipline while your at an Apple Store in Boston, otherwise you might just find yourself buying the iPad.

Then again, you ARE on vacation, or I should say, holiday, so if you find yourself wondering why you should deprive yourself of an iPad for six more months...

Pack it in the wife's bag, she'll never know she's carrying it around.

5. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I'd say just take the MBP. You might end up needing something the iPad can't offer. I don't think there's much point taking both on holiday as you presumably will want to enjoy travelling and the scenery of other countries rather than being on a computer.

6. sachin10dulkar thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true... I think that the ipad might have to wait until I get home? As this is in the fall I will need something to get as a pick me up after the trip.

Having said that I really feel like trying to survive with just the ipa fo the last portion of the trip. Has anyone had experience
    of a pure ipad photo download off card - to - flickr uploading workflow?

7. DaveRobertson82 macrumors newbie

just wait till you get home for your iPad i say, don't want to be carrying loads around.. get the MBP [​IMG]

8. fozy macrumors member

As a photographer who travels often I can tell you that you will not be disappointed with the 13" macbook pro. Obviously it offers your standard choice of software, hard drive space and backup utilities in addition to a built in SD slot. MBP also offers additional processing speed and your choice of ram.

It seams like the MBP 13 designers sat on an airplane when the chose the dimensions. The laptop is perfectly sized for the airline tray and slips into your carryon with ease. I was a big fan of the 12" powerbook which was also nice to travel with.

That said, I'm excited for future versions of the ipad and what they and the app developers will offer to photographers.

Bon voyage!