Travelling Soon. Can I switch on GPS without picking up roaming charges.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrCatMan, Aug 4, 2008.

1. MrCatMan macrumors member

Simple really.

I live in the UK but am going to California in September for 16 days.

I want to use my iPhone for calls but don't want to pick up ridiculous roaming charges everytime I get an e-mail from work or if a check up macrumors while i'm away.

It would be useful if I could use the GPS though as I will be doing a lot of touristy things. Can GPS work with Roaming turned off?

If I'm on a Wifi in a hotel can I switch off roaming?

Also anyone know what the "average" roaming charge is for a two week US trip?

I would be willing to pay about £200 (approx $400) extra while I'm away for roaming but not much more.

Do o2 do any reasonable bolt ons?

Any tips?

MrCatMan

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

the problem is that when you use maps with GPS it uses EDGE or 3G to download the map data and visuals. so i assume you could use GPS but just see a blue pin and not see any roads or anything. however if you are on wifi it should use it to download the maps and then you would see the picture too. im not 100% sure here though

3. ~Phi macrumors regular

Maybe you can just purchase a local prepaid AT&T SIM card?

4. izibo macrumors 6502

This still wouldn't work since the phone is locked to O2.

5. MrCatMan thread starter macrumors member

Oh.... I hadn't thought about needing EDGE or 3G for Maps. It doesn't look like it will work. Thanks for thinking that through for me!

So I will have to buy US Maps for my Tom Tom and try and work out how much data roaming will be for a two week trip.

Thanks

MrCatMan

6. MrCatMan thread starter macrumors member

Just spoke to O2.. I can buy a data bolt on for £50 for 50 mb. I am away for 2 weeks and usually use 70-80 mb per month so that should cover me.

While I was on they asked if I was enjoying my 3G phone. I said I only had 2G
    but Mrs MrCatMan has a 3G.

They said that I had upgraded on 9th July online. I said I never got one and had assumed that because of the problems they had I assumed that I had not ordered one as I did not get an e-mail confirmation.

The said they were sorry for messing me about and confirmed they will get me one delivered tomorrow!

I didn't expect that.

Thanks for all your help with this thread.

Paul