Travelling to Spain with iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kerber0s34, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Kerber0s34 macrumors member

Kerber0s34

iPhone 4 unlocking issues aside, what would my best option for getting a micro-SIM for voice and data during my stay in Madrid and Sevilla? I've heard that Vodaphone is a good option, however I'm lost on their Spanish website.

I've also seen a couple of websites that allow you to pre-order your sim and they will ship it to you before you leave. Are these legit? I'd like to have the convenience of a phone for local voice calls, data for navigation / location search, and the ability to keep in touch with home via sms.

My local carrier offers a roaming package, but the cost is ridiculous - $50CAD for 10mb... seriously?? I'll go through that checking my email when I get off the plane.

2. himesh macrumors regular

Best bet would be to buy a sim card whilst out there I think. Only thing is whether they will have micro sim's available or not in the stores.

This should help with the costs etc. click

3. seajay96 macrumors 6502

If you can wait till monday, I will be in Madrid this weekend and will have to answer this very question in person. If no one else has by then, I'll post the current prices/options.

4. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

5. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Provided that your iPhone is factory or Jailbrek unlocked you can just get a micro SIM cutter and put a prepaid one in there. I got my micro SIM cutter for $10 on craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

I'd recommend a simyo prepaid card.. you get 250 mb daily for 2.5 euro/day.
    But you need a spanish delivery address.

if that's not an option then go to any Vodafone, Orange or Movistar shop and get a prepaid card.
    Most of them offer daily tariffs for data.. between 1 and 3 euro daily. You would have to trim down the SIM into a microsim, since they only sell microsims with a contract.

7. Kerber0s34 thread starter macrumors member

Kerber0s34

Thanks for all the info so far, i didn't realize you could cut the standard SIM down. Do the pre-paid SIMs allow internaltional SMS and voice?

@Seajay96 - That would be great of you to post up and let me know your experience in Madrid. My trip isn't for another 5 weeks, so I have time.

I considered renting a phone there, but I'm trying to keep the number of devices down that I carry. I'm already taking a Nikon DSLR, so I was planning to use the iPhone 4 as my quick point and shoot camera when I don't want to lug the big guy around. Then I have camera, communications, and navigation all in one. Plus it feels good in my hand. I'm not sure I know how to use physical buttons anymore.

8. Lekaks macrumors newbie

Where a WiFi connection is available Skype works like a charm on the iphone all over Europe. To use the cell network just by a cheap cell phone from Voda phone or similar and charge it with minutes to suit your needs.

This way, you won't get dinged with a surprise cell phone bill. And again, Skype works great. Anyway that's what we did and we were stoked.

Via con dios...

9. Kerber0s34 thread starter macrumors member

Kerber0s34

Good call on Skype - I always forget about internet communication apps. I suppose FaceTime would work as well - the people I want to keep in touch with all have iOS devices or Macs.

So i guess I only really need data and voice. And if I can hack a European map update onto my GPS i wont really need data.

10. JackSpearo macrumors regular

also check movistar. I used them when I lived in Valencia, Spain

11. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Depending on how long your stay will be, you have different options. If it's around a week, you should go with vodafone. I just read on their site that data costs 50 cents a day (must have it for 7 days minimum) for 20mb daily allowance for 3,6mbps download speeds. After the 20mb, your download speed would be reduced to 128kbps. It's unlimited data, though.

And yes, they have micro-sims and that plan is for prepaid. Also, I'm a native Spanish speaker :p

Hope that helps :)

Edit: By the way, here's the page where I got the info from. It's in Spanish, though:

http://360.vodafone.es/TarifaPlana/tarjeta/diaria/