Travelling to the US from Canada With iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JTeeth, Apr 26, 2014.

1. JTeeth macrumors newbie

JTeeth

Hi there. I'm going to be travelling to the States this summer (specifically Austin, Texas) and I am trying to figure out the best way to handle my cell phone service. I've done a lot of research but still had a few questions that someone who's done this before would probably easily be able to answer. So I turn to you MacRumors community, please help me in my time of carrier confusion.

I have a Rogers iPhone 4S that is currently locked. After looking at my options for travelling to the US the best option I saw (for a week long stay) was T Mobile's $3 pay per day plan. (I looked at Roam Mobility, Roaming packages, and WIND mobile but they all were not as appealing for one reason or another) Before I pay Rogers $50 to unlock my phone however I wanted to make sure I could actually get this plan.

Has anyone used T Mobile with an unlocked Canadian iPhone 4S? What was the process like when buying the SIM from them? What was your overall experience with using this method to get US calling, text, and data at a better price than the pitiful options Rogers offer for roaming? I've seen some old threads saying Canadian phones wont work with T Mobile's network but it seems like that is no longer the case, can anyone confirm? Lastly, do you have a better way to handle your Canadian phone while in America that I haven't heard of?

Thanks for the advice!

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Data will be fine as long as you're in the Austin area. As far as talk and text goes it should be great everywhere you need it. No problems using T-Mobile prepaid on a 4S. Just go to the store, sign up, and pop in the sim card.

3. JTeeth thread starter macrumors newbie

JTeeth

Thanks for the info CEmajr! I also saw somewhere that they require a US credit card to sign up. Can I pay with my Canadian Credit Card? Or Cash?

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

I don't think you can use Canadian credit cards but they do take cash though.