Travelling to the US - Prepaid Sim advice??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kultschar, Nov 1, 2014.

1. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Travelling to the US again and wouldn't mind have a cell number for people to get hold of me (and more importantly internet on the go)

My hotels will have wifi of course but always nice to have access when out and about as have some important work things going on email wise!

Cant remember how I did it last time I was in the US

I have an unlocked iPhone etc so thats no problem, just need some kind of prepaid sim so I don't have any sign ups etc with my UK credit cards

Was looking at something like this to send to my hotel which would give me 30 days once the dude activates it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Mobile-Pr...rg=20140131123730&rk=4&rkt=15&sd=121452023358

Any US people have any kind advice?

2. 617aircav Suspended

Yeah op that's a good plan. Just make sure you have good T-Mobile coverage in the city you are going to be in. You can also walk into several stores and get a sim. Att, metro pcs, cricket are the major ones.

3. catean macrumors regular

catean

Roaming on vodafone uk is 5 £ a day to use your UK allowance in US. Is that too expensive? It is only for postpaid but they have 30 days 4G plans that you can use on US 4G networks.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

That's a pretty amazing deal if it's legitimate. The one caveat I'd have is to at least look up the coverage maps for TMobile in the area you will be traveling; they have excellent coverage in some places (typically major cities) and very little in others. Their prepaid service does include some data roaming on other networks, but not a lot, so you definitely want to make sure you'd be on their network for the most part.

Coverage maps aren't always accuracte, but they're a start. This might help: http://opensignal.com/network-coverage-maps/t-mobile-coverage-map.php

5. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. Will be mainly Miami and Ft Lauderdale (either side of cruising)

Will check out T-Mobile coverage.

That does look like good deal and he seems to have sold shedloads and legit