Travelling to the US with an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SatchNZ, Mar 7, 2011.

1. SatchNZ macrumors newbie

Hi,

Before I start, I tried to contact AT&T via their online chat service, but the department I contacted was unable to answer the following question. They wanted me to make an international toll call to find out the answer! And I cannot find any email links on their website...

I live in New Zealand. I will be travelling to the US (LA and Vegas) in June for approx 10 days. While I am there, I'd like to bring my iPad with, and purchase a pre-paid micro SIM card to use during my stay. Does anyone know if this is possible? Will AT&T sell a pre-paid SIM to a non resident (although I am a US citizen travelling on a US passport)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

I swear I saw threads on this when I had a similar question about travel to Canada.

The biggest thing may be that you'd need a US credit card to enable the data after getting a SiM from ATT store. best technique is apparently to buy a prepaid Visa card or similer once here.

Hope this helps give you some ideas to work with.

3. SatchNZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into this more. Would be interested to know what additional costs are involved in getting a prepaid Visa in the US.