Travelling with 24-inch iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zainjetha, Aug 17, 2008.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I am going to purchase a 24-inch iMac 500GB. I live in Kenya and am currently in the UK for my summer holiday. I would like to purchase one here and take it back home with me.

What precautional measures can I take when packaging the machine?
    I do not intend to remove the machine from its original packaging until it arrives in Kenya and there I will set it up for the first time.
    Should I put the originally-packaged box inside another box, covering it in bubblewrap and 'popcorn'?
    Alternatively I could purchase a large suitcase which could contain the 24-inch iMac with box. Which would be safer?
    I have never done this before. I have seen a couple of posts on MR about this being done.
    Please note that the baggage handlers in kenya are generally quite rough and have seen them throw boxes labelled fragile onto conveyer belts and really don't want to end up with a smashed iMac.
    Please outline any precautions I can take in order to keep the iMac safe while travelling...
    Is the iMac packaged tightly in its original packaging? Wil it wriggle?
    Please be as descriptive as possible..

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

hmmm

Macs are usually shipped in the box that you buy them in. The padding in there is made to withstand the stress of shipping.