Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iluvifone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I'm coming from Canada (Fido) to NYC for a trip. I have zero plans of using any voice/texts/data while I am on the trip. The only thing I am bringing the phone for, is Wifi while at the hotel and the 5MP camera.

How can I disable my carriers features (voice/text/data) so i get no surprises whatsoever in my bill. None of this roaming crap or $5 million bills.

Will enabling the Airplane Mode let me use wifi? Is it a foolproof method?

Or can I simply leave my sim card at home, and use wifi/camera without a sim card present?

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
I'm coming from Canada (Fido) to NYC for a trip. I have zero plans of using any voice/texts/data while I am on the trip. The only thing I am bringing the phone for, is Wifi while at the hotel and the 5MP camera.

How can I disable my carriers features (voice/text/data) so i get no surprises whatsoever in my bill. None of this roaming crap or $5 million bills.

Will enabling the Airplane Mode let me use wifi? Is it a foolproof method?

Or can I simply leave my sim card at home, and use wifi/camera without a sim card present?

go into airplane mode, but then turn wifi on in the settings. this should make it foolproof as far as i know. i just dont know if your phone turns off if airplane mode will stay on or not.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Go to settings>network and turn off cellular data, roaming, and 3G. Then if you want to take it further activate airplane mode. At least if you turn off the other settings first, if then phone restarts or something you still shouldn't be connecting to cellular data.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Go to settings>network and turn off cellular data, roaming, and 3G. Then if you want to take it further activate airplane mode. At least if you turn off the other settings first, if then phone restarts or something you still shouldn't be connecting to cellular data.

I'm pretty sure that what Fernandez21 said should cover it.

Just in case, I'd also take a screenshot of them turned off. Granted, there's no way to prove that you didn't turn them back on, but at least if you get some freaky billing mix up you can send them that and say that you really did try to the best of your knowledge to avoid the situation. The EXIF data on the photo should have a time stamp too.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Yup, if you a) turn off roaming data, 3g, and then cellular data and b) turn on airplane mode and finally if you really want to get nuts c) take out your sim card and keep it in your wallet. a and b should be plenty sim card removal is a little risky in case you need your phone for emergency situations. but it would give a very paranoid person some peace of mind.

you'll be very safe against fees

oh, another thing you could do is go to settings>general>restrictions and disable phone and text if those are options in that menu.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Unless you're in airplane mode or remove your SIM, your phone will still ring if called, and you'll still receive txts, both of which can cause fees. Even if you don't answer a call if your phone rings, when it forwards them to voicemail, that will count as an call made from your phone.

I visit Hong Kong for work twice a year and have incurred zero extra costs from my iPhone in airplane mode with wifi turned on.

iluvifone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Does using Google Maps or Tomtom/Navigon require an internet connection?

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England

Google Maps requires an internet connection since it downloads all map data from the internet and stores nothing on the iPhone itself. TomTom, Navigon and other navigation apps *may* use data if you've enabled any live traffic, weather, or other in-app data features that go beyond just using the maps stored within the app itself.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Google maps won't work, but navigon and tom-tom should except for traffic, weather, and aGPS assistance, so it will take a coue of minutes for the gps to find you and probably won't work well indoors, under trees, or where there are alot of tall buildings.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Simply disabling roaming will to the trick. There's absolutely no need to go further. Disable data roaming and you will come to find out that data only works on your own cellular network.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I've seen where you can disable roaming for data, but how do you disable roaming for text and voice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.