Traversing Folders in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Reverov, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Reverov macrumors newbie

I have a brand new Mac mini and it's my first mac. I love this baby so small and quiet but quite powerful. The one thing that bothers me from switching from xp is when I try to traverse the file system, on xp I would usually start typing the first few letters of the folder I wanted to go to and press enter. I would just keep doing this until i got where I wanted. On OSX its been a little more frustrating because I can start typing in the first few letters of the folder but when I press enter on it, it thinks I want to rename the folder. Is there anyway to change the behavior to opening the folder instead. Thanks for your help in advance!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Apple+O will open the highlighted file/folder

3. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Also, play around with Apple+(arrow keys). Up and down will take you higher or lower in the heirarchy, and the right key will open nested folders. (This functioning might change slightly depending if you're in column view, icon view, or whatever. In fact, these views can be changed with Apple+1,2, or 3).

Give it a whirl, you'll get used to it. If you really end up hating the finder, there's something out there called Pathfinder—it's a replacement for the stock OS X finder that some people swear by. And then there's Leopard around the corner with a new Finder, as well.

4. Reverov thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah these are all pretty good tips, but I thought that if there was a way to make it so that return (enter) opened a folder I wouldn't have to take my fingers off home row and it would be much faster. :) Anybody have a solution for that?