tray, doc, dashboard, home screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stirolak123, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Can anyone explain the difference to all these terms and how they pertain to the iPad's user interface? Whad do we call each screen for example is it a tray or a home screen or a dashboard? Like if you wanted to say "I clicked on the tray icon on the seventh screen of the iPad's dashboard" would that sound right?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The dock is the dock and apps don't change as you flip through each page of apps. The apps are on pages, at least that's what I all them and the main screen or first screen is the home screen. There is no tray or dashboard to the best of my knowledge.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

They just seem to prefer the term "tray" over "dock", but they do refer to it both ways. The author is probably not a Mac user. Most people I know call it the dock, since it's always "docked" regardless of which page you're on.

Never heard the term dashboard used to refer to any part of iOS, not even in your link.

5. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

So what would you refer to as the pages sit on? Meaning would you say "on each page of the OS" or "on each page of the user interface?"

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Generally they're called "home screens." So you could say "I keep my most used apps on the first home screen and the other ones are in folders on the second and third home screens."